PDA

View Full Version : applying wax w/da

beefy z
06-24-2005, 07:30 PM
finally bought a da. having no problem w cleaning/ polishing. believe it or not, waxing with it confusing me a bit. naturally, i`m used to hand pressure and when applying by hand, i`m used to seeing my layer of wax on the car. i tried both megs liquids nxt and dc3 on 2 different cars with the da & finishing pad set at 3 and i seemed to "lose` the wax as i applied it. only made 2 passes and it seemed to disappear. is that the way its suppossed to look ? i though i was removing the wax so i stopped and waited . after 5 minutes or so, saw the haze, which was much lighter than with a hand application, and removed it w/ mf. i`m also questioning how much wax you`re able to set down w/a da. is that why 2 coats are recommended ? does one make only 2-3 quick passes or is my technique wrong ?

JasonD
06-24-2005, 07:34 PM
Actually, by applying such a thin layer you are just now beginning to apply your lsp correctly. The most common mistake made is using too much product. I like using the da (PC) for lsp application for this reason alone, it makes applying a super thin layer a breeze.

You can go over the car twice if you want to, but the only benefit is going to be that you will *know* that you have 100% coverage and didn`t miss any spots. If it`s layering you are after, you will need to wait around 24 hours before applying the second coat.

Also, you don`t need to make *passes* when applying lsp`s. All you want to do is *apply* it, so one single pass is enough. All you`re doing is getting it on there. If you try to work it in like a polish it will flash on you and you will essentialy be removing it before it has a chance to bond.

Hope this helps.

White95Max
06-24-2005, 07:42 PM
Yeah just go over the area quickly enough to lay down an evenly thin layer rather than working it in like a polish. All you need to do is cover the area and move on.

a.k.a. Patrick
06-24-2005, 11:10 PM
I agree with the above posts. I overlap every pass, but only make 1 left/right or up/down pass..........