PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend a bug/tar remover?

vaca222
06-24-2005, 11:13 AM
Hi everyone. I`ve had a lot of construction going on at my house and haven`t been able to clean and detail the car in a LONG time. I`ve ignored the condition of my car but yesterday I had to take a peek, and it looked terrible...lots of junk on the rocker panels and things like that.

Can anyone recommend a good bug/tar remover? I have no idea how to start on getting all of this junk off the side of the car.

Thanks!

Bill D
06-24-2005, 11:21 AM
A very common OTC sprayable kind is Stoner Tarminator. However, the longer tar and grime sits, the more difficult it might be to remove. One newer product I`m aware of that works best by dwelling on the surface for longer periods of time is Meg`s Body Solvent (http://meguiars.com/estore/product_detailpage.cfm?product=Body-Solvent&sku=D-130)

That would probably the one I would seek out for contamination that`s been on the surface a while, That or possibly Valugard New Car Prep which is supposed to be quite versatile.

brwill2005
06-24-2005, 12:03 PM
Dont know if you have a pressure washer, but a good way to start is to spray the area with dilluted APC. Let the APC dwell for a couple of minutes, and then rinse it off with a PW. Use that method to remove as much grime as possible. What ever is left over is probably road tar. I would recomend Hi-Temps tar remover. It is a citrus based solvent that works well removing tar, and does not smell that bad. Hope this helps.

milehighassassi
06-26-2005, 03:55 PM
3M Tar and Adhesive remover has worked well for me.

imported_Bence
06-26-2005, 04:28 PM
AIO is an excellent tar remover...

imported_kgb
06-26-2005, 05:16 PM
I like Stoner Tarminator and Four Star`s Professional Glue and Tar Remover.

Intercooled
06-26-2005, 05:39 PM
I bought the Turtle Wax tar and bug remover, and the reason I bought it is because it says it wont remove any wax. Well its ok. I really dont use it very much. I Pretty much use PB S&W. I let the bugs soak for a few minutes then wipe. Works well for me. But of course my finish is always in great condition and sealed.