PDA

View Full Version : 3M Polishes + PC

SphyNxXx
06-24-2005, 07:29 AM
Anybody have experience with 3M polishes such as their swirl remover with a PC? How well does it do, and did you have to use another abrasive product after your 3M polish to smooth it out? I would do a seach on it, but the search engine doesn`t like "3M"

imported_Axe
06-24-2005, 08:13 AM
Try searching for 3M* should help. I don`t use 3M products so can`t help you specifically.

Alfisti
06-24-2005, 08:20 AM
Here you go: http://autopia.org/forum/search.php?searchid=5191

SphyNxXx
06-24-2005, 08:26 AM
Thanks guys!

Accumulator
06-24-2005, 08:52 AM
Though I usually use the Cyclo for this, I did a few areas on the MPV with the PC. I had to use 4" pads to remove marring, but the "usual combo" of PI-III RC and MG (05933 and 05937) removed all the marring except one isolated deep scratch, which would`ve required the rotary (it was on the roof so I just let it go :o ). The 3m SMR for light/dark finishes is too mild for me, lots of fillers with hardly any cut.

JeffM
06-24-2005, 09:29 AM
I have been using the PI 3000 SMR alittle lately.

I dont know if it has fillers or not, my finish was pretty much swirl free to start with.

My green DAS pad was picking up some dirt, so it has decent cleaning power.

It is pretty watery for a polish, but it is very workable. When putting it onto a pad, when the liquid seeps into the pad, there are little polishing particles that can be seen.

If no sun at all hits the surface, it doesnt dust, with the DAS pads.

If alittle sun hits it, it does dust, but in either situation, it wipes off very easy(easiest of the 5 or 6 polishes that i have).

It produced a perfect finish on my black hood, and on the metallic sides, it was very clear.

I applied Z2pro right over it, 2 weeks now and it is still looking good, beading very well, i got no significant bonding problems....

As far the abrasiveness of it, i dunno, im just a weekend warrior on my own vehicles. It feels similar to FP2, SFX-2, DP mild SMR, HT LC, ect.

It was alittle over 30 bucks for 32 oz. and worth every penny. I put ease of use first, then the finish, because if its not easy to use, ill never use it much after. I dont care what kind of looks it produces.

Accumulator
06-24-2005, 09:34 AM
JBM- Thanks for posting that. Glad to hear the "new silicon containing formula" didn`t cause any bonding issues; guess it all wipes off with the polish residue. I was hoping it would be as good (or better) than the good ol` PI-III MG.

JeffM
06-24-2005, 10:59 AM
I never used the MG, but i am growing fonder and fonder of this product. One of my fav. mild polishes, that and the new DP line of polishes(from AutoGeek) are excellent as well, and behave pretty similar.