PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar #83 DACP with cutting or polishing pad?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_95legend
06-23-2005, 11:50 PM
I`ve used the search but since #83, polishing, and cutting are too general for the search engine, I can`t really find what I`m looking for.

I just bought myself a gallong of dacp. I have never used it before, but I want to do it right the first time.

I would think I need to use the dacp on the cutting pad to remove the swirls I have on my car, but since the dacp is a polish, would it be better to use my polishing pad instead? I have the Sonus pads (orange, green, blue).

One last thing. I`ve gone up to #6 on my PC before and I could not handle it for more than 5 minutes before my hand gets all numb and funny. How do you guys handle it? lol. I tried switching hands but it`s still annoying! :nixweiss

Thanks everyone!

Black240SX
06-24-2005, 12:16 AM
Use it with a polishing pad.

Alfisti
06-24-2005, 03:41 AM
It depends how bad the swirls are.

Since you`re starting fresh, start with the green pad. Check your results and decide from there.

If its removed 50% of the swirls, use the green pad again. If its made little difference, step up to the orange pad, then finish with the green pad and a milder polish. The reason being, the orange pad is quite aggressive and, although it shouldn`t leave a haze, it will lower the gloss. Personally, I`d use a finishing polish after any aggressive polishing session whether its DACP or similar.

I rarely use 6 on my PC. I don`t have vibration problems - it feels like a mild massage to me. I just find most pads don`t like it, and it allows the polish a little longer to do its job before breaking down.

Hint: Don`t use too much pressure with the Sonus orange pad - it hates it. Its an unusual pad...gently does it.

malckyh
06-24-2005, 07:37 AM
i think the reason your hand was going numb is due to the counter weight, i remember reading if its too heavy/light it would cause hand going numb.

Accumulator
06-24-2005, 08:17 AM
Some people are just more sensitive to vibration than others. You can get vibration-reducing gloves (LINK) (http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/safetyglasses1.html) if you have a problem; this is something to be taken seriously, as "white finger" can be a serious problem (think- permanent nerve damage). FWIW, I prefer the combo of 6" counterweight and 5.75" flex backing plate, though using 4" pads and a 3.75" flex plate is probably the *best*, vibration-wise.

I`ve heard that #83 by PC/cutting pad can leave hazing that can be almost impossible to remove, and an Autopian at the last St. Louis G-T-G cut through the clear on an early `90s Benz with that combo, so be careful.

SK2003TypeS
06-24-2005, 08:56 AM
I`ve heard that #83 by PC/cutting pad can leave hazing that can be almost impossible to remove, and an Autopian at the last St. Louis G-T-G cut through the clear on an early `90s Benz with that combo, so be careful.

:cry: :faint:

Spilchy
06-24-2005, 09:03 AM
:shocked I`ve used DACP w/ a cutting pad on speed 6 with zero issues zillions of times.

As far as vibrations, these gloves work great. I have a pair. I used them until I got used to it. Just be careful when wiping the polish off as to not scuff the paint with them.

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/RIN-16310.html

I bought them there. Great prices and cool selection of products.

Accumulator
06-24-2005, 09:21 AM
..I`ve used DACP w/ a cutting pad on speed 6 with zero issues zillions of times...

Yeah, just gotta be careful and remember that every situation is different.

..I`ve heard that #83 by PC/cutting pad can leave hazing that can be...

Heh heh, big difference between *can* and *will*, huh?

Alfisti
06-24-2005, 10:59 AM
In my experience, the bad pairing is #83 and Megs burgundy cutting pad. :scared: :scared:

Bad pad for anything with a PC! Whenever I`ve used it, its dulled the finish to the point of not being able to recover...I don`t know why; I can take out scratches, swirls, oxidation, anything...but can`t bring the gloss back after the big bad burgundy pad! :hairpull

Accumulator
06-24-2005, 11:48 AM
In my experience, the bad pairing is #83 and Megs burgundy cutting pad...

Yeah, that was the combo I was thinking of.

EBPcivicsi
06-24-2005, 11:51 AM
In my experience, the bad pairing is #83 and Megs burgundy cutting pad. :scared: :scared:

Bad pad for anything with a PC! Whenever I`ve used it, its dulled the finish to the point of not being able to recover...I don`t know why; I can take out scratches, swirls, oxidation, anything...but can`t bring the gloss back after the big bad burgundy pad! :hairpull

Agreed, I don`t think it`s as bad with the LC yellow pad, though the orange is as low as I go. Anything beyond that and I typically go to the rotary.

Alfisti
06-24-2005, 09:49 PM
No, the LC yellow seems to work ok.

I really have never needed to use anything higher than an orange pad on c/c finishes.

The only time I`ve used full-on cutting pads is on solids...and that`s rare too.

imported_Aurora40
06-26-2005, 06:50 AM
I`ve definitely induced hazing with the Meg`s cutting pad and DACP via PC. It was removable for me with a lighter polish and a polishing pad, though. But a cutting pad via PC is probably not the best choice unless you are pretty much out of options.

I have had great success with orange pads, DACP, and the Cyclo. Though I`ve been having some issues getting it to work while still being possible to wipe the residue off. But the corrective action was pretty great.

Lowejackson
06-26-2005, 10:29 AM
I have had very mixed results with DACP. I cannot remember who said it really works best on a rotary where the heat allows it to function correctly. I now use Sonus SFX without any problems at all.

C. Charles Hahn
06-26-2005, 10:55 AM
But a cutting pad via PC is probably not the best choice unless you are pretty much out of options.

I have to disagree with this -- I`ve used the cutting pad via PC at speed 6 many, many times without a single incident of haze/clouding. I use it with 3M Perfect-It II Rubbing Compound (Fine Cut)... follow up with DACP on a meg`s yellow polishing pad at 6, and the finish is perfect. I`d be more scared of that burgundy pad on a rotary than I am with it on my PC. :waxing: