PDA

View Full Version : My first full detail tomorrow... how does this sound?

erockoneskee
06-23-2005, 05:31 PM
Okay, so after reading this forum for about 2 months and absorbing as much information as possible, I have finally acquired all the products to do a full detail on my lightly scratched/swirled 2005 black Infiniti G35.

Here is my list of products:

PC 7336SP

Sonus DAS pad kit with 5" backing plate (2 of each pad)

LC 4 inch spot repair pads with 3" backing plate (1 yellow, 2 orange, 2 white)

Poorboy`s SSR 2.5, SSR 1

Z2, Z5, ZFX, Z6 QD, Z7 car wash, Z-18 claybar

Eagle One QD

Vector Quartz Halogen Spotlight

3m auto tape

Blow Dryer

Tons of microfibre towels and some waffle weaves

Here is my planned process:

Dawn Wash

Claybar w/ Eagle One Wet Wipe and Shine or Z7/Water solution

Z-7 wash (is this necessary?)

Go over car with SSR 2.5 and Sonus green pad (LC white pad equivalent)

Go over car with SSR 1 and Sonus green/blue pad (LC white/black equivalents... should i use the green or blue pad here?)

Z-7 wash

Z5/ZFX, Z5/ZFx, Z2 all applied with PC with microfiber bonnets spritzed with Z6.

Now a few questions if you guys would be kind enough to answer :clap: ...

Since this is my first time using the PC, I am expecting it to take me quite a while just to get used to it and I may not be able to finish even half of the car the first day. Would it be okay to just polish my hood and maybe trunk, then stop and do the rest the following day, or would I have to wash again before doing the rest of the car the next morning?

Also, since I am polishing, is it necessary for the wash step in between claybarring and polishing with SSR 2.5?

Should I wash my foam pads before I use them for the first time?

Okay, that`s all that i can think of now.. thanks everyone for your help. This forum has been more educational to me than any college text book that i`ve ever purchased.

Tasty
06-23-2005, 06:04 PM
Many people on here aren`t too big on the Dawn wash. Claying the car is going to strip all products that may be on the vehicle off anyway, so why use such a harsh soap on your finish. Skip Dawn, wash with your regular wash, then clay. I personally wouldn`t bother washing again after claying. I would go straight to the 2.5. Since it is your first time out, spend a little time getting to know the PC in perhaps a more inconspicuous area of the car. PC is not harsh, but there is a learning curve to it contrary to what some say. I recommend about speed 4-5 for the 2.5. I feel that anything slower just doesn`t get it done, but that`s me and also depends on the condition of your finish. No need to wash the pads before use, at least I didn`t and have never heard it recommended.

J.J.
06-23-2005, 06:38 PM
If it were me, I would begin my detail on a 2x2 area of the hood or trunk. Complete the entire process on just that section.

Wash > Clay > Wash > All polishing steps > LSP

Examine the results as you move along ensuring that you are satisfied. There is nothing worse than completing the entire vehilce only to find you didn`t remove all the swirls or don`t like the final result. I would also recommmend you begin on the worst section of the hood in order to get a feel for what process will work best. You may find that the 2.5 and green pad doesn`t produce enough bite for your liking.

imported_themightytimmah
06-23-2005, 07:52 PM
Here`s what I`d do, given what you have on hand.

Here is my planned process:

Z7 wash

Claybar w/ Eagle One Wet Wipe and Shine

Go over car with SSR 2.5 and Sonus orange pad @5

Go over car with SSR 1 and Sonus green pad @6

Examine with light, use blue pad with SSR1 @6 if desired

Wipe off polish residue

Z5/ZFX, Z5/ZFx, Z2 all applied with PC with blue pad spritzed twice per panel with Z6.

Top with carnuba. Pinnacle Souveran is worth the money, but S100, P21S, TS, FK1 Pink,white or blue Natty`s, etc will all do. This step is definetly worth doing, it`ll give you the depth that Zaino so sorely lacks, while keeping the shine that Zaino adds.

Some guys wash after clay, I don`t. I just use a lil more QD and a clean MF to get a decent surface. Sometimes I don`t even do that if I use a QD lube. I just buff over it, works fine for me.

I use my new pads right out of the bag, no problems so far. I inspect them first, though, haven`t had a bad one yet. If it gives you peace of mind, wash em with Snappy.

erockoneskee
06-24-2005, 03:05 AM
Would i need to do an IPA wipe down after the SSR`s or are they filler-free?