PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for drying, applicators and washing mit.

impulsebrklyn
06-23-2005, 12:08 AM
Ok i use all cotton towels and have been very hesitant to switch to microfiber towels. Bought one from Griots and thought it was ruff. Currently use Fieldcrest 100% cotton towels with trim removed, griots 100% cotten towel mit, assorted 100% cotton terry clothes for odd things, and zaino application pads. I use Zaino products and go along with Sals recommedation of cotton!!! Can Anyone give me any suggestions on drying towels, applicators or a washing mit. Trying to see whats out there and if its worth switching to any other products. Thanks Chris

BigAl3
06-23-2005, 01:49 AM
i currently use and not limited to....

eurow sheepskin mitt

pakshak waffleweave or viking mf drying towel (seriously, one of the best/plushest mf`s out there and i put it against any and all the more expensive mf`s i have)

pakshak and sam`s club light blue heavy duty mf`s

viking handi-grip or megs even-coat applicator pads

haven`t had any problems with any of these products! :bigups

if your looking to get a good assortment/start on some mf`s, waffleweaves, etc...

call ranney at pakshak ( www.pakshak.com ) he`s one of the nicest guys you`ll ever talk to, and not to mention his orders arrive quick! ask for the autopian discount.... ;)

SK2003TypeS
06-23-2005, 07:36 AM
Pakshak`s MF WW for drying and MFs for removing Zaino. :bow

I use regular yellow applicators when applying Z by hand.

Washmitts I have from a few different vendors. I have no problem spending 10-15 on sheepskin mitts. Cheap insurance.

DFTowel has great towels too for removing Zaino. :xyxthumbs

buellwinkle
06-23-2005, 08:05 AM
I use the Absorber, synthetic chamois for the bulk of the drying and quickly follow it up with a high quality Costco MF (20 for $9). I use mf towels everywhere expect tires and the interior where I want the rougher nap of cotton terry for scrubbing power.

It could be that Zaino products don`t hold up to MF towels, maybe you should switch to a better product that can take it. I know there are some Meguiars products were they don`t recomend MF like their mold release wax. I find that mf towels are better at removing wax residue than cotton.

Tanat198
06-23-2005, 08:26 AM
I used plus mitt from MEGs for washing but it`s history already. Somehow dirts trapped and scratched the entire paint. But for drying , i use Water magnet towels and supreme microfiber. They are great.

impulsebrklyn
06-23-2005, 08:56 AM
buellwinkle Zaino is not a problem, im very happy with what im using now. No complaints. Im more interested in seeing what people use for the application, removing anf drying of there vehicles. Thanks for the responses keep them coming. Pakshak`s seems popular!!!!!

Chris

imported_Jinba ittai
06-23-2005, 06:55 PM
Ok i use all cotton towels and have been very hesitant to switch to microfiber towels. Bought one from Griots and thought it was ruff. Currently use Fieldcrest 100% cotton towels with trim removed, griots 100% cotten towel mit, assorted 100% cotton terry clothes for odd things, and zaino application pads. I use Zaino products and go along with Sals recommedation of cotton!!! Can Anyone give me any suggestions on drying towels, applicators or a washing mit. Trying to see whats out there and if its worth switching to any other products. Thanks Chris

You sound a lot like me. :chuckle: I`ve resisted the switch to MF towels myself and have been using Zaino for several years now but little by little I`ve been experimenting with new products. There`s literally tons of information on this website. The "search" feature is handy, not to mention that there`s a bunch of articles on each aspect of detailing your car that extremely informative.

As for myself:

For washing I use a sheepskin mitt. I have a few Turtle Wax mitts from Pep Boys that have served me well. I also have a MF mitt from DF Towel but I prefer the sheepskin mitt. It holds dirt very well, is easily rinsed out and suds up nicely. I use at least 2 mitts when I wash the car and a separate one for the wheels and wheelwells.

For drying I`m still using a set of high quality 100% suprima cotton towels. I bought a set of DF Towels but find they don`t dry very well. My technique has been to sheet the water off the car, carefully dry/blot the excess water with my towels and use the DF Towels to wipe off any remaining residue.

I use the Zaino applicator pads. I use a fresh one for each application. I buy them in bulk. :waxing:

For buffing I`ve switched to DF Towels (http://www.dftowel.com/). These are cotton-based MF towels and are very soft and high quality. I find them to be a nice compromise between the synthetic based MF towels and the cotton towels. They aren`t very absorbant but are great for QDing and buffing.

I also have the Sonus Der Wunder polishing MF towel. These are very nice, soft and well made and are more of a traditional MF towel. I like that they don`t have any borders at all. MF towels are "rougher" in feel than a cotton towel and that can be a turn-off but it`s part of what makes a microfiber work as well as it does. I`m inclined to spend a bit more money and buy high quality MFs. I`m now debating about whether to go with the Sonus Der Wunder drying towel or some Pakshak WWs for drying.

Remember that a lot of what makes the car look good is not just what you use but how you use them as well. ;)

zippymbr
06-24-2005, 04:18 AM
Do not judge all MF`s by what you used from Griots`s. Many have comented here that their MF`s are not the best. Do yourself a favor and give Pakshak or Fiber-works a try. I am very impressed with their quality and price. both offer discounts. Once you switch from cotton to MF you will never look back.