PDA

View Full Version : Can I fix this..

99-Boxster-MK
06-22-2005, 07:44 PM
Took my car into the dealership and received some free pain removal with my service..

DO you think I can fix this, with some work or should I just give it to a pro, or have the rear bumper repainted.

I was thinking some agressive cleaning, touch up paint, wet sanding, praying, polishing, some more polishing, some praying and hope it works out.

Mike

imported_themightytimmah
06-22-2005, 08:44 PM
You *could* fix it yourself. If you`ve got a rotary, or a DA and a LOT of patience. Or, you could take it to a quality bodyshop, and stick the dealer for the repair. I would not tolerate a Porsche dealership doing damage like that. Hell, I wouldn`t tolerate it from a Hyundai dealership.

brwill2005
06-22-2005, 08:49 PM
That can not be fixed with any type of buffer. That scratch goes right down to the plastic. It could be touched up, but would probably not look right. A repaint is about your only option.

99-Boxster-MK
06-22-2005, 08:55 PM
The dealer is taking no responsibility for this. They claim the damage was there already. Seems everybody at the dealership remembers the damage. Interestingly no one remembered me when I came back. I guess they have very selective memory.

I still don`t know what to do, but my plan was to fill it as much as I can with paint, and then wet sand it even. I really don`t want to repaint the entire rear bumper as it is flawless.. If I get it redone I will get the front bumper redone as well, as it has a few stone chips. I don`t really want to mess with porsche paint as it is so beautiful and I am scared it won`t be matched well...

Arggg.. What a way to ruin a day/week...

Mike

Tasty
06-22-2005, 10:26 PM
Wow, and that on a Porsche? I would try making a little more noise at the dealership if they are the ones resposible for that. That is atrocious, and should not be tolerated from a high end dealership. Go to the service manager, sales manager, then whoever is above them to get someone to step up.

maypo
06-23-2005, 04:09 PM
My experience while working in a Chevy Body shop was that the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

As Tasty said, you need to climb the ladder until some one will take action. BTW, dealers really hate to have Regional people tell them to make good on their errors. If that is what it takes, do it. Eventually they will get sick of listening to you and they will make the dealer take care of it for "Customer Satisfaction".

Alfisti
06-23-2005, 07:16 PM
What a crappy thing to have to face! :grrr

To make it disappear you need a respray. If you`re 100% sure they did it then *make* the dealership fix it - whatever it takes. I know it`ll be difficult, especially if you`re a person that hates conflict. :hide:

You just have to pick your battles...and this one is worth fighting for.

If all that fails and you don`t want to respray, try touchup paint and Langka - that should make it reasonable.

Keep us posted. :up

99-Boxster-MK
06-23-2005, 07:52 PM
Well I filed a complaint with POrsche NA, and they directed me to the owner/manager of the dealership. We are playing phone tag right now so we will see what he says. I am not goona back down..

Mike

99-Boxster-MK
06-24-2005, 11:21 AM
Well going to the top pays :) They are going to take care of it, and its going in on Monday for a full panel redo.

I think I am going to get them to redo my front bumper as well as its already in the shop. I am sooo happy now :) Hopefully they will do a good job on the re-painting.

Mike

Joetabasco
06-24-2005, 07:41 PM
when I had a retail shop we had our fair share of legal threats... they dont faze me at all... now a letter to the editor of the largest newpaper in town... now that can do a lot of damage to a business. Don`t be rude. just polite and to the point.

Tasty
06-25-2005, 07:01 AM
Good for you `99 Boxster. Get results! Hope it all works out.