PDA

View Full Version : Fill in the blank!

blackcarwoes
06-22-2005, 07:18 AM
Hey guys,

im pretty new here but ive been steadily buiding my detailing arsenal, but still need help to "complete" it.

Heres what i have!

Rotary with Lake country pads.

Rubbing compound: 3m perfect III rubbing compound

Polish : NONE , recommendations ?

Glaze : 3M black foam pad glaze for dark cars(from what i read, swirl mark remover in a 32oz bottle)

Wax: Meguiars NXT , any recommendations?

If you guys can recommend two or three products for each category that would be great thanks!!

P.S. I have a black car by the way.

imported_Denzil
06-22-2005, 08:07 AM
Have you had any previous rotary experience? IMO, you shouldn`t start your detailing experience with a rotary considering you could damage your paint if not operated correctly. I would suggest going with a PC 7424/7336 to start off if you have no previous experience.

As for polishes, Poorboy`s, Optimum, and Menzerna are all great polishes with Poorboy`s being sun-friendly, just to throw some out there. For waxes, there`s NXT, P21S, and Pinnacle Souveran, again, just to throw some out there.

Just so you know, black cars are the most difficult to restore. So do not be surprised if you become frustrated at times. Just be patient. Take your time.

Use the search button in the forums and you will find that many of the questions have already been answered.

Good luck! :cool:

SK2003TypeS
06-22-2005, 08:09 AM
Welcome to Autopia :welcome

I know you said you`re new here, but I`m not sure if you`re new to detailing. Rotarys are pretty advanced tools and you should be really careful if you`re new to the world of detailing. Please don`t take this the wrong way, it`s just a precaution.

For polishes, I prefer Meguiar`s right now. I like to try to keep product families close together when it`s possible. Maybe look into some of 3Ms other offerings. They don`t seem to be talked about much here. One of those underrated product lines.

Meg`s NXT looks great on darker colors. Extremely easy to apply and remove. Only thing, I haven`t been able to get a long life out of it. After a few weeks, the slickness seems to go away. Othwerwise, Zaino is my staple regular last stage product.

Also, there`s no claybar on the list, so I`d definilty look into that.

As far as completing a detailing arsenal....for most of us, it never ends....

Hope this helps

Accumulator
06-22-2005, 09:40 AM
blackcarwoes- If you don`t have a PC/Cyclo, I`d sure get one to use after your rotary work. If you get any holograms (even top pros can get them), the PC/Cyclo is the way to eliminate them.

FWIW, I generally use the following progression when using PI-III RC (059633) by rotary:

Rotary/PI-III RC

Cyclo/PI-III RC

Cyclo/PI-III MG (05937) or 1z PP

Sometimes I can skip the middle step *if* I can pull the vehicle in the sun to check for holograms and *if* I didn`t get any. Note that the vehicles I`m doing this on have hard clear and that I only have to do it every few years (don`t mar it and you don`t have to correct it ;) ).

So I`d probably recommend the PI-III MG. Very versatile product and it might be all you need by rotary too (try it before using the PI-III RC). But if *I* were buying today I`d get the Menzerna Ceramiclear products ;)

SphyNxXx
06-22-2005, 09:46 AM
Definately consider adding a claybar to the mix. I like the Clay Magic Clay Bar from Autozone.

For a Wax, maybe you should research Wolfgang`s Paint Sealant. Its my favorite so far.

blackcarwoes
06-22-2005, 01:13 PM
Im getting a little bit confused about the waxes, sealants, LSPs.

My question is if you seal, why wax? or if you wax then why seal? Isnt waxing sealing?

Accumulator
06-22-2005, 04:32 PM
I`ll try to clear up the confusion- generally, "seal" means using a synthetic "LSP"/Last Step Product (i.e., a "sealant"), whereas "wax" (verb) means using a carnaube-type "naural" LSP (i.e., a "wax"). Not as much difference between the two as some might make out and *many "waxes" are natural/synthetic hybrids.

Sealants generally last longer than most waxes, but they look different. Some people like to use a sealant for the protection/durability, and then "top" it with a wax for an improved look.

SphyNxXx
06-22-2005, 08:18 PM
Yeah, sealants are stuff like Wolfgang Paint Sealant, FMJ, Zaino, etc. True natural waxes ares stuff like Pinnacle Souverian, P2S1, S100. Synthetic waxes are stuff like Meguiar`s Gold Class, NXT, Eagle One Nano. People often like to apply a sealant such as WG for the durability and then after it cures, top it with a coat of a carnauba natural wax like Souverian for even more depth.