PDA

View Full Version : Zaino Z-pc - what am I doing wrong?

chancers
06-22-2005, 07:11 AM
I picked up Zaino`s Z-pc and tried it out yesterday. How long does it take to remove the fine swirls and spiderwebs? I have a 2 year black bmw that has been clayed, Z5, Z6, Z2pro, and Z8 many times. Car looks great, but under two 1000 watt halogen lights, I can see very fine swirls and webs. I use sonus drying towels and concours buffing towels.

When I tried Z-pc (by hand) with Zaino`s terry applicator pad, I think the swirling was worse. And I certainly didn`t see swirls going away. I must be doing something wrong. Any suggestions?

ZaneO
06-22-2005, 07:54 AM
If the swirls are increasing, it sounds like the surface isn`t completely clean or you aren`t working the product long enough. It`s going to require a pretty good effort to remove defects by hand.

What are you using to apply the Z-PC?

chancers
06-22-2005, 08:12 AM
If the swirls are increasing, it sounds like the surface isn`t completely clean or you aren`t working the product long enough. It`s going to require a pretty good effort to remove defects by hand.

What are you using to apply the Z-PC?

I think the surface is pretty clean. Even though the car was clean to begin with, I washed it again with dawn, dried it off with the Sonus wunder drying towel, and am using the applicator pad that Zaino gives you when you order more than $25 worth of stuff. Is that wrong? How hard do you have to push down when applying the Z-pc? The buffing towel I use is the Concours buffing towel.

imported_memnuts
06-22-2005, 08:29 AM
What does the surface look like prior to polishing?

After a spot polishing with Z-PC, are you increasing, decreasing or not effecting swirls?

Need this info to help with your problem.

imported_DennisH
06-22-2005, 08:57 AM
I picked up Zaino`s Z-pc and tried it out yesterday. How long does it take to remove the fine swirls and spiderwebs? I have a 2 year black bmw that has been clayed, Z5, Z6, Z2pro, and Z8 many times. Car looks great, but under two 1000 watt halogen lights, I can see very fine swirls and webs. I use sonus drying towels and concours buffing towels.

When I tried Z-pc (by hand) with Zaino`s terry applicator pad, I think the swirling was worse. And I certainly didn`t see swirls going away. I must be doing something wrong. Any suggestions?

I have not used the product but there is a thread on another forum that states using by hand you may get "very slight haze that is only visible under bright flourescents and/or halogen lighting" Here is the link to the complete review http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1114319&forum_id=10

Like I said I haven`t used the product just relaying information that I have read.

imported_memnuts
06-22-2005, 08:59 AM
If the swirling is becoming worst or unaffected, it would appear that you are not working the product long enough or not applying enough pressure to the pad/polish combo. If these swirls are repairable with a mild polish/cleanser like Z-PC this should be evident after working a small area to completion. I usually work the Z-CP until there is nothing left to really buff off when applying by hand. I also use a folded terry (cotton) cloth (no sponge) instead of a applicator pad (has an internal sponge). This creates a better and larger contact/polishing patch.

chancers
06-22-2005, 10:26 AM
If the swirling is becoming worst or unaffected, it would appear that you are not working the product long enough or not applying enough pressure to the pad/polish combo. If these swirls are repairable with a mild polish/cleanser like Z-PC this should be evident after working a small area to completion. I usually work the Z-CP until there is nothing left to really buff off when applying by hand. I also use a folded terry (cotton) cloth (no sponge) instead of a applicator pad (has an internal sponge). This creates a better and larger contact/polishing patch.

Thanks for the help. This time I used a brand new sonus applicator. And before I used Z-pc, I spritzed a little Z6. This helped immensely. I also worked the Z-pc until there was nothing left to buff off. The swirls did decrease. For my situation, I think the time necessary to completely remove the swirls would be considerable. Anyways, I was satisfied with my results. Plus, I`m hoping that Z5 will help too.

As for water spots, Z-pc easily removed them. I also used Z-pc on a minor door ding/scuff. Z-pc really helped. The ding/scuff is much less noticeable.

Next time, I`ll try a folded terry cloth. As for the applicators that Zaino sends as freebies, I`m hesitant to use it again.

imported_memnuts
06-22-2005, 12:13 PM
Chancer,

Use the Z terry sponges for applying the Z2-PRO. They may not be durable but they are extreme soft and great for spreading the protectants (Z2-PRO and Z5). Spritz with a little Z6 or Z8 add a little ptotectant and enjoy.

Glad the Z-PC is working for you. :xyxthumbs

imported_Jinba ittai
06-22-2005, 12:23 PM
I I have a 2 year black bmw that has been clayed, Z5, Z6, Z2pro, and Z8 many times. Car looks great, but under two 1000 watt halogen lights, I can see very fine swirls and webs.

Don`t look at your car under two 1000 watt halogen lights. :p ;) I find it amazing how certain types of light will really bring out the swirls/spiderwebbing while other times the paint looks perfect. Dark colors really accentuate this phenomenon.

I have yet to try the new Zaino Z-PC but if it`s anything like Meguiar`s Scratch X it takes quite a bit rubbing and you have to work in the product until there`s practically nothing left. I love Scratch X for small marring/scratches. I`m wondering if the Z-PC falls into the same category as the Scratch X.

As blkZ28Conv recommended, I use a high quality cotton terry cloth to apply polish/SMR/scratch X when I`m looking to eliminate specific marring/scratches. When I`m applying my coats of Z5/ Z2-Pro I find the Zaino applicators work just fine.