PDA

View Full Version : PC makes horrible noise when using 4" backing plate

Jeff_M
06-21-2005, 05:21 PM
I am looking to use this before sunset, and haven`t had much response over in the machine forum so I thought I`d try here:

I attached my new 4" backing plate and pad to my PC yesterday in a latch ditch effort to remove swirls from my hood. I fired up the unit and within 5 seconds it was making a horrible noise (similar to the noise of an electric screwdriver spinning without the screw moving). Upon inspection, I see that the screwheads on the back of the 4" backing plate are making contact with the counterweight. The force of the screws trying to spin through the weight left big gouges in the counterweight. When I reattached the 6" plate, the screws clear the counterweight and the foam pad spins as it should. What else do I need to do to use this new backing plate? Am I missing something?

Tasty
06-21-2005, 06:13 PM
Make sure you put the spacer on when you use the 4" pads like you do when you use the 6" pads. The PC comes with a spacer, and some backing plates have one built in. Just use the one that came with the PC with this new smaller backing plate and you should be fine.

Jeff_M
06-21-2005, 08:46 PM
Make sure you put the spacer on when you use the 4" pads like you do when you use the 6" pads. The PC comes with a spacer, and some backing plates have one built in. Just use the one that came with the PC with this new smaller backing plate and you should be fine.

This worked out perfect. I was able to get my polishing done this evening. I feel like an idiot for forgetting the spacer. Many thanks, Tasty!

Tasty
06-21-2005, 08:52 PM
:xyxthumbs