PDA

View Full Version : Clay Mishap

imported_rachelanne16
06-21-2005, 11:19 AM
This Saturday, I was washing the wife`s ride when I noticed some bug poop (tiny brown dots, really stuck to the surface) on the hood. So I wanted to clay them off. That went fine, but while gently going over the rest of the hood, the clay suddenly smeared.

I was using the discount yellow clay that had been promoted here a while back ("Clay for $2 ???" or whatever the banners said) and E1 W&S as a lube. Vehicle was in the shade and was just washed. Surface was SG x 2, UPP x 1.

There was no visible contamination where the clay smeared, but it just got messier and messier. I got most of it off with Sonus clay and E1 car wash as a lube, but I ended up having to AIO the area! :mad:

So I guess I am just wondering what might have caused that to happen ...

Thanks! Sorry, no pics.

2wheelsx2
06-21-2005, 11:26 AM
Were you working in the sun? Was the car no longer as wet? Those are the only two circumstances where I have had smearing clay.

Accumulator
06-21-2005, 11:34 AM
Sounds to me like the clay and the W&S didn`t get along. The only times something like this happened to me were when I used something other than the "correct" clay lube. Even with "incorrect"/improvised lubes, I could get away with it for a while, but if I kept at it long enough, eventually the clay would break down, causing problems like the smearing.

SphyNxXx
06-21-2005, 11:38 AM
Ive had some clay get stuck to my paint before too on different cars. It always came off without a problem with either wax or a paint cleaner.

imported_Denzil
06-21-2005, 11:39 AM
Soapy water is usually your best bet, I think.