PDA

View Full Version : Zaino Z-PC First Impressions

Dave N
06-21-2005, 06:26 AM
I guess I`m just lucky in the respect that UPS gets my orders from the Zaino store to me in 2 days. I ordered a bottle of Z-PC on Wednesday and it arrived on Friday, just in time to detail my parents` minivan for Father`s Day.

The aim of this detail was to clean and seal the paint -- no swirl removal. Here`s what I did:

2004 Town & Country light blue minivan

Dawn wash

Light clay

Z-PC w/Sonus orange pad

Z-6 wipe-down

Z-2 Pro (x1)

Z-8

Here are my observations regarding Z-PC

Consistency - Out of the bottle it reminds me of #80 Speed Glaze. It has a medium consistency with little bead-like chunks in it (I guess those are the "ultra-intelligent abrasives"). The color is green/yellow and it has a sickening mellon scent (I personally despise "scents" in detailing products, but I`m sure others will love the smell).

Application - I kept the speed of my PC at 4.5 the whole time, and tried to keep the pad just a little damp by periodically spritzing with Z-6. I found that the Z-PC broke down too quickly for my liking with a dry pad, but with just a little extra moisture I could easily work it for twice as long.

Performance - In all honesty, I must say that this is one of the most effective paint cleaners that I have ever used. I know that people rave about AIO, but I`ve just never been able to get AIO to actually "clean" well for me. Maybe it was the Sonus orange pad (my first time using this brand of OP, but I`ve used others in the past), or a combination of the pad and the Z-PC, but this stuff really cleaned the paint well. There were several spots of tar, etc. that I missed with the clay, and they came off easier than I have ever experienced with a little pressure and a couple of extra passes. With other cleaners/polishes, I can make several passes over similar contaminants without much results. Product removal was very easy, and the Z-PC left the paint with a silky smooth feel, compared to the "squeaky-clean" feel like Menzerna polishes.

Dusting - Z-PC dusts just about as badly as anything I`ve used. I suppose it has to do with the fact that it is water based and doesn`t contain any oils. I found that I could minimize dusting by removing it immediately after application and keeping the pad damp.

Pad Clogging - As long as I kept the pad moist, it didn`t seem to get too gummed up. Half way through, I rinsed the pad out with the hose, and all of the Z-PC residue came out nicely. However, after I was through cleaning the paint, I let the pad sit for a couple of hours while I applied the Z-2. Big mistake! The dried Z-PC was VERY difficult to remove, even with Dawn and hot water, and in fact it is still soaking.

Z-2 Application - One final note here -- I have had a fair amount of experience applying Zaino sealants (three different versions of Z-2 and two versions of Z-5), and this time the Z-2 Pro went on more easily than I have ever experienced. A LOT more easily. I always use the same type of applicator (Meguiar`s yellow foam pad), so that wasn`t a factor. The only thing I can think of that was different this time was the Z-PC.

Well, there are my initial thoughts on Z-PC. I can`t comment on the swirl-removing qualities because I wasn`t trying to remove swirls, just clean the paint. As a result, I didn`t spend a lot of time on any one panel, or crank the PC up. But for paint cleaning it worked very well, in my opinion. I will definitely use this product again.

Here`s a final +/- overview:

Pluses

Cleans paint very well

Easy to apply

Easy to remove

Made Z-2 Pro application very easy

Rinses out of pad with cold water (if not dry)

Minuses

Dusting

Very difficult to clean out of pad if left to dry

Sorry, no pics...

SilverLexus
06-21-2005, 06:33 AM
Good review Dave. I`m going to try this product.

slammin86
06-21-2005, 07:12 AM
Why did you choose the orange sonus pad?

drewski59
06-21-2005, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the review. I`m glad it`s as good as promised. I can`t wait to try it!

:)

ZaneO
06-21-2005, 07:53 AM
Very nice review!

My bottle should be here today or tomorrow :)

SK2003TypeS
06-21-2005, 09:10 AM
Nice write up. Interesting point about the similarity to the Menzerna polishes. :buffing:

imported_perry
06-21-2005, 12:07 PM
Dusting - Z-PC dusts just about as badly as anything I`ve used. I suppose it has to do with the fact that it is water based and doesn`t contain any oils. I found that I could minimize dusting by removing it immediately after application and keeping the pad damp.

Thanks, this is the part I was concerned about from reading the product description page. Even asked about it in the "announcement" thread but no one wanted to answer. I hate dusty polishes and having to play games to get the product to behave makes detailing not so fun for me.

Glossmaster
06-21-2005, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the write up, Dave. My Z-PC should be here tomorrow. :bigups ( wed. )

Intercooled
06-21-2005, 12:44 PM
Just got home and my Z package is here. I`ll be trying the new Zcp very soon as well. Id love to see some more immediate reviews!!!!!!! :bigups

roaringmouse
06-21-2005, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the writeup. :xyxthumbs My order arrived today but I may be installing a clear bra soon so I will hold off appying it.

Scottwax
06-21-2005, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the review! I heard from another company (after trying a new version of an old product) that thanks to the new VOC regulations, some dusting may become a way of life. DP`s Super Swirl Eliminator dusts pretty bad too.

Regardless, as long as the product performs at a high level, I can deal with some dusting.

Any chance you (or others who have or are getting the new Z-PC) can post some before and after/side by side shots?

dogma
06-21-2005, 11:47 PM
Just got my order today. Can`t wait to try it !

imported_JoganJani
07-01-2005, 12:51 PM
Nice review. I checked the shop in San Jose here in CA. They do not have it yet. I`ll have to order from Sal.

imported_COBRyan
07-01-2005, 05:47 PM
Nice review. I checked the shop in San Jose here in CA. They do not have it yet. I`ll have to order from Sal.

You might get it faster if you order from LA Zaino. I would assume you would get it the next day if you ordered in the morning. lazaino.com