PDA

View Full Version : Klasse SG removal?

Pages : [1] 2

RobDon
06-21-2005, 04:17 AM
I`m new to using Klasse, whilst the AIO went on and buffed off no problem using the PC, the SG wouldn`t come off, even with the PC. I used a mist of Sonus acrylic spritz then buffed again, this time the surface came up fine - phew! Obviously I applied it too thick, but it seems such a difficult product to apply with just the right amount?

What`s the best way to apply an ultra thin coat of Klasse SG? Could it be misted on like Sonus Glanz?

DM101
06-21-2005, 05:44 AM
I have had the same problem. But using a QD worked ok. It is had not to use to much. You should try it on chrome wheels! Super shine and no brake dust!

LOTA OT
06-21-2005, 06:22 AM
You probably did apply it too thick. Try a first wipe with a MF dampened with water and then a final buff with a dry MF. Works for me no matter how sloppily I put SG on or how long I let it sit.

RobDon
06-21-2005, 06:37 AM
So by removing it with a QD, will it still have worked and bonded on top of the AIO, or does the QD remove it again?

wash-girl
06-21-2005, 06:46 AM
To apply it thinly in the first place, what I do is distribute it evenly across my applicator and make sure it is soaked into the foam (rather than sitting in a glob on top). Then I usee a very light touch when beginning application. I use almost no pressure at first, and do a few light passes over the area I`m working. Then I move on. Don`t worry about seeing it on there or "evenness" of the application. Remember, it needs to go on so thin that you can barely tell it`s there. It should never look as thick as carnauba haze. Your 2-4 subsequent layers will ensure you haven`t missed anything.

RobDon
06-21-2005, 06:50 AM
Once you`ve applied it to the foam pad, does that do the entire car, how often should you reload the pad? I`m sure I`ll get the hang of it, it`s just difficult to apply a product you can barely see as you`re applying it so thinly!

wash-girl
06-21-2005, 06:57 AM
You will need to re-load the pad. It should take about 1 oz for an entire coat. I think of that as a 2/3 full shotglass. It is not much, but drizzled onto the pad, like I do, it goes a long way. I usually reload after each panel (hood, roof, rear hatch, front fender & door, rear fender & door, etc.). I drizzle an X on the pad and then a circle around it, to sort of fill the pad evenly.

RobDon
06-21-2005, 06:59 AM
OK that`s great, thanks for the tips, I`ll remember them when I next try the SG.

wash-girl
06-21-2005, 07:01 AM
Also, the trick to applying even though you can`t see it is to follow a set pattern and once you`ve passed over an area, trust that it`s covered. If you start looking for evenness, like you would with a carnauba, you are going to see the thicker areas and assume it should all look like that. That`s when you wind up applying it too thickly. Cover and area and move on without inspection. Trust it`s on there. Like I said before, your subsequent coats will ensure complete coverage.

Accumulator
06-21-2005, 08:42 AM
I go by feel. Areas that have been treated with KSG will feel slicker/different from untreated areas. I *never* put it on so thick that I can see it on the paint; I use far less than an ounce for the whole minivan. After quite a few years and many dozens of applications, my bottle of KSG is still maybe 2/3 full.

I apply it to the pad by placing the pad over the top of the bottle and shaking it- this deposits a tiny drop of KSG on the pad. Then I move the pad and do it again. I repeat this until the pad is just barely damp. Then I rub the pad together to distribute it more evenly. Again, the pad will be just *barely* damp. This will do an average size panel. Then a few more shakes will give enough new KSG for the next panel. It`s a matter of *drops* of product per panel.

I really can`t exaggerate how little it takes. Get it on thinly enough and it wipes off with hardly any effort at all. Doing the minivan is time consuming but easy.

dmatre
06-21-2005, 05:26 PM
It`s not necessary to use the Sonus Acrylic Spritz to remove the stubborn SG.

Simply take your damp SG applicator, and re-apply a very thin coat of SG (wiping over a 2`x2` area of the car), then IMMEDIATELY wipe the just-applied area with a clean MF or 100% cotton wiping cloth.

For me, the Sonus is a little pricey to use as a removal aid. The same applicator that you just used, moistened a little, works wonders.

beefy z
06-21-2005, 05:43 PM
never used klasse before but considering it. what do you mean by "your subsequent coats will get areas missed" do you mean when you coat it again in a couple of months or are you suppossed to do more than 1 application when you initially use klasse ?

wash-girl
06-21-2005, 08:36 PM
...are you suppossed to do more than 1 application when you initially use klasse ?

One of the key advantages to the use of sealant is layerability. You`ll find that most users of Klasse, Zaino, and other pure sealants like to start their use of the product by applying several coats. Many find that the appearance improves slightly with each of the first 3 coats, but some continue to five or more. You can search and find tons of discussions about layering sealants, but generally you need to wait at least 24 hours between layers for the previous coat to "cure". I generally do a coat a week for 3 consecutive weeks and then just maintain it with Sonus QD and Glanz for the next few months before I decide to do it again. Three coats of Klasse can reportedly get you through as long as a year, but I can`t imagine anyone wanting to wait that long to detail again.

BottleHead
06-21-2005, 10:23 PM
I`ve been putting SG on and then allowing it to sit overnight prior to buffing out. A question, though. After buffing it out....can I immediately start applying the next layer (as it has already set 24 hours, or close to it)...or do I need to wait another 24?

When does the clock start?

....BH

chevyguy28
06-21-2005, 11:51 PM
Have been experimenting with SG a bit and it seems to come off easily if I use a finishing pad and a PC. Comes right off.

- J