PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Darin - Now that`s music!

stilez
06-17-2005, 09:06 PM
Over the past couple of months I have become a fond lover of Bobby Darin`s music. I truly wish history would repeat itself and return back to the big band, swing type of music. The large orchestra of instruments and true vocals just resonate inside producing such a warm feeling. Being a musician for many many years I learned to love all instruments. It seems like nowadays that everything is remixed or done on a synthesizer. It is hard to find good quality music.

Just finished watching "Beyond the Sea" and it was great. A very moving picture covering his life rather well in an interesting portayal. Kevin Spacey and Kate Bosworth were truly excellent, no secret the movie was up for an academy award.

Any other lovers out there?

Bill D
06-18-2005, 06:59 AM
You sure are right that it is hard to find good quality music today.

:(

Nothing like the equivalent of "hand crafted" music. All real instruments and all real singing, no sound rooms, electronics, stuff like that to assist :up

I come from a music oriented family although I don`t play. I`m more of a classic/real jazz and classical music listener myself but I sure am glad these seemingly endangered genres, including big band, are still of interest. :up

percynjpn
06-18-2005, 07:36 AM
Yes, I feel the same way, though most of Bobby Darin`s well-known work was more "popular" than "Big Band/Swing".

Bobby Darin, Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Benny Goodman, Peggy Lee, et al, destroy modern pop "music", IMHO - and I`m only 39:D

imported_themightytimmah
06-18-2005, 08:20 AM
His music was great in American Beauty. Particularly when Caroline`s singing "Don`t rain on my parade" in the car. "Call me irresponsible" was good too, I forget what part of the movie that was from.

If you like big ban/swing and comedy, look up Adam Sandler`s "She comes home to me" sometime. Its a riot, and he captures the big band style perfectly.

JustinR32
06-18-2005, 08:32 AM
Rosemary Clooney.

I also love those sounds! My dad has/had a HUGE swing/jazz/dixieland/New Orleans collection, and I listened to that stuff in the 60s and 70s right next to The Doors and Led Zep. I got my buddies hooked on Benny Goodman`s "Swing, Swing, Swing (Christopher Columbus)" from the 1938 Carnegie Hall jazz concert.

Tom

percynjpn
06-18-2005, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Mosca

Rosemary Clooney.

I also love those sounds! My dad has/had a HUGE swing/jazz/dixieland/New Orleans collection, and I listened to that stuff in the 60s and 70s right next to The Doors and Led Zep. I got my buddies hooked on Benny Goodman`s "Swing, Swing, Swing (Christopher Columbus)" from the 1938 Carnegie Hall jazz concert.

Tom

The original "Swing, Swing, Swing" is my favorite Big Band "high-energy" piece, along with Glenn Miller`s "In the Mood" and "American Patrol".:up

Porkanbeans
06-23-2005, 08:11 PM
I love Bobby Darin`s music. Too bad he didn`t become big sooner, rock crushed his career while it was still young. IMO, his singing meets or exceeds that of Frank Sinatra.

And Kevin Spacey was great in Beyond The Sea. He`s killer on the soundtrack too.