PDA

View Full Version : Claying

slammin86
06-17-2005, 08:06 PM
How often do you clay your own vehicle?

I clayed mine about 2 months ago, and tonite while applying Z5 I noticed some rough spots on the hood and roof. Do I need to clay again so soon?

I only have about 2000 miles on my car since the last clay.

scottabir
06-17-2005, 08:09 PM
It cant hurt if you clay it again, If in doubt clay it :D

imported_Burlyq
06-17-2005, 08:12 PM
Yeah, I agree but try spraying the clay and addressing the rough spots as opposed to claying the whole vehicle.

slammin86
06-17-2005, 08:13 PM
I just hate the thought of the clay removing the 6 layers of zaino I have built up

imported_Burlyq
06-17-2005, 08:21 PM
It wont Slam, depending on the lube it will only slightly remove Zaino. I have clayed a vehicle after a month after detailing, because my customer drove through tar and got it on her car, and after washing it I was amazed at how the surface was beading. I used clay lube with CM that day, but I`m sure z6 will do the same.

SVR
06-17-2005, 08:23 PM
clay doesn`t remove all sealants. klasse sg in particular

Have only clayed when I can feel grit on glass and paint.

when I started my new job I took the easiest route and unfortunately drove past a metal trading place on a highway connector road

The place has a big chimney and is pouring out fallout and is blowing all over the oncoming traffic

Amount I got hit with was bad so clayed whole car and have since taken a more complex but better route which goes no where near the place

Four months later, no fallout and paint is still slick thanks to 1Z perls shampoo and four star ultimate shampoo

harvey
06-17-2005, 08:28 PM
I do not think that you should be claying your car more than once or twice a year. You call Sal Zaino and ask him. The tech information # is on his web site. It worth the call, very few people around know paint like he does.

I think the Meg people also have a tech information #. But I would trust Zaino`s opinon more.

scottabir
06-17-2005, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by tabinha

I do not think that you should be claying your car more than once or twice a year. You call Sal Zaino and ask him. The tech information # is on his web site. It worth the call, very few people around know paint like he does.

I think the Meg people also have a tech information #. But I would trust Zaino`s opinon more.

I think it depends on enviromental conditions as to how often you clay. It certainly doesnt hurt anything by doing it more, maybe your wallet if anything.

Accumulator
06-21-2005, 09:03 AM
I`ve been "spot-claying" at almost every wash since detailing clay was first released. No problems, and if you do it "properly", i.e., *GENTLY*, it won`t remove an appreciable amount of LSP.

The other day I tried "claying off the wax" on a car I was gonna redo anyhow. I was far more aggressive than I would usually be, but as best I could tell (look, feel, beading) it didn`t take off the wax, which was already pretty old. IMO if your claying takes off LSP you`re doing it too aggressively.

2wheelsx2
06-21-2005, 09:07 AM
You might be able to clay off your LSP if you use Clay Magic Red, which is a super aggressive clay designed for heavy overspray. For most of the other OTC clays, I doubt you`re removing anything but the contaminants. As a matter of fact, depending on the type you buy, it takes more effort than other brands to remove contaminants. I find the yellow Mother`s clay to be that way. Super gentle, but man, does it take a lot more effort to clean the paint properly!