PDA

View Full Version : sheepskin mitts... why the inconsistency?

Pages : [1] 2

BigAl3
06-16-2005, 09:06 PM
i went to several wal-marts (not just for this purpose) and most all the eurow mitts were limp and some were mediocre at best. does anyone leave and not buy one after feeling through, let`s say 10 or so? i swear the people in the auto dept think i`m wierd

:o does anyone know if any other company has consistent sheepskin mitts? or is it a case by case feel and touch type thing?

goceltics34
06-16-2005, 09:24 PM
Order the ones from Patrick at Exceldetail.com. Get the extra thick ones. They are excellent! There isn`t a bad one because he makes sure they are oh so plump.

BigAl3
06-16-2005, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by goceltics34

Order the ones from Patrick at Exceldetail.com. Get the extra thick ones. They are excellent! There isn`t a bad one because he makes sure they are oh so plump.

thanks, i may have to do that! :up

Setec Astronomy
06-16-2005, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by imacarnut

Does anyone leave and not buy one after feeling through, let`s say 10 or so? I swear the people in the auto dept think i`m weird

Bill D`s motto is "pick them like fruit", and, reportedly, he is also the source of some discussion in the WalMart Security booth.... :wavey Bill!. The reason there is so much variation is they are a natural product...some sheep just have nicer skins! Patrick grades his, so you can buy/pay for just the plushness you want.

imported_animes2k
06-16-2005, 10:13 PM
I got two from Patrick recently. I`d been using some off the shelf from Pep Boys (Meg brand, I believe). The cuffs are identical, but MAN are the ones from Excel plush and thick. Absolutely love `em. I got two (one heavy, one light) and they`re both better than the store purchased ones.

Oh, and they cost less than the ones I bought at the store!!!

Thanks, Patrick :D

josephclemente
06-16-2005, 11:22 PM
I got mine from Pep Boys, Turtle Wax brand. Out of the 10 they had, this was the only good one. The others were noticably different with a rough feel.

Brazo
06-17-2005, 12:24 AM
I have actually weighed the eurow ones!! They range from 4 - 6 oz! Thats a good 50% difference

wannafbody
06-17-2005, 05:42 AM
heredity-if only hair club for men worked on sheep;)

Raven
06-17-2005, 05:52 AM
I also have to suggest ordering from Exceldetail. I have several of the heavey mitts from Patrick and they have all been great!

imported_Jinba ittai
06-17-2005, 03:29 PM
I lucked out. I found two really nice Turtle Wax mitts from Pep Boys and they`ve held up very well. However I went in a few weeks later and pulled out about 12 of them and left empty handed. I`m going to try an Exceldetail mitt. They sound fabulous! I think they are from Australia. All the OTC ones are from China.

I bought a big, fluffy VROOM sheepskin from Target and while it was nice and fluffy initially I noticed after using it that it has a few hard, seedlike things down near the skin. It also came apart easily so I`d recommend staying away from those.

Bill D
06-17-2005, 03:37 PM
The ones down here are just fine but I`m going to have to sabotage whoever`s getting to them before me :D ;)

I`m pretty convinced the Vroom, TW, Eurow, etc are all virtually identical.

I`ve left Wal-Mart, Target,etc plenty of times empty handed for reasons stated above.

I`d like to order some online but for me it`s a case of needing to inspect before I buy. Just can`t do that online.

III
06-17-2005, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Jinba ittai

I bought a big, fluffy VROOM sheepskin from Target and while it was nice and fluffy initially I noticed after using it that it has a few hard, seedlike things down near the skin. It also came apart easily so I`d recommend staying away from those.

Interesting. I haven`t seen this problem as all I use is vroom sheepskin mitts. Before the vroom brand I used the baja sol, which I believe is the same thing, and I never had this problem either.

imported_Jinba ittai
06-17-2005, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Bill D

I`m pretty convinced the Vroom, TW, Eurow, etc are all virtually identical.

The two TW mitts I have have held up very well after multiple washings/rinsings. The Vroom one still felt ok but I noticed this hard lumps deep in the mitt, near the surface and was shocked to pull out a sharp, seedlike thing buried deep into the fur. I found at least 3 and now it`s relegated for wheel duty. The TW mitts are nice and smooth throughout.

The TW mitts are lighter in color and the band is a different color. The Vroom mitt`s sheepskin fur is a different color.

Bill D
06-17-2005, 07:03 PM
Interesting . I have Eurows with different color cuffs. These seedlike things sound very :scared:. I`ve never experienced that yet with my dozen+ mitts. :nixweiss

I read a little bit about the tanning process of these mitts. Of course I`m sure its done cheaply with these particular ones but I leaned to make sure the inside of the mitts ( leather showing should be a tan color; if white or something else, they`re not tanned properly/not thoroughly. If this maks a difference, I thoughtI`d pass it on.

RCBuddha
06-17-2005, 07:14 PM
I would think that the discrepency is due to them being mass-produced...