PDA

View Full Version : Used a whole bottle of SSR2.5 to polish my vehicle... too much product?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jeff_M
06-14-2005, 01:37 PM
It was the first time using my PC. 1998 4runner with light to medium swirling. I tried to error on the side of too much polish (as per David B). I ended up using an entire bottle of Poorboys SSR2.5 followed by a bottle of SSR1. Is this normal or should i have applied a little lighter?

LightngSVT
06-14-2005, 01:41 PM
How many passes did you make on the truck?

SpoiledMan
06-14-2005, 01:41 PM
Yeah, that`s too much product. I used about 6 oz. on a car that was in bad shape and that was doing many areas more than once. It probably took a long time to break all that down eh? Don`t feel bad, I saw a guy use about 30 oz. of #80 on a BMW Z4!

TW85 HHI
06-14-2005, 01:42 PM
Not necessarily. Depending on the condition and size of a vehicle, it can take a significant amount of polish to correct the paint to your liking. However, I would dare say you used too much product. I think the most I have ever used on a single vehicle was 8 oz. ;)

Jeff_M
06-14-2005, 01:48 PM
Yeah, the vehicle honestly was not in bad shape. I think it was just my technique. What is the best reference for proper PC use on the net? I have the Autopia guide, but I find the PC instructions too be lacking. For instance, how much pressure should I use? The guide says 1lb., but in the real world, what does that mean? So members say that using pressure is important. Should all my passes be in one direction (ie. up and down the hood), or should I go back and forth as well? Should I take the product just to the point of dusting, or should I stop when the finish looks greasy?

TW85 HHI
06-14-2005, 01:52 PM
While not difficult, it isn`t as simple as reading written words. You have to gain a feel for how much pressure is needed for a given task. Some panels may require more pressure than others and the pad/product combo can impact the pressure you apply to the pad.

Stop polishing when the polish is transparent (greasy look, I suppose).

SilverLexus
06-14-2005, 02:00 PM
This seems like overkill unless you have an RV...

Scottwax
06-14-2005, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by SilverLexus

This seems like overkill unless you have an RV...

Agreed. I maybe use 2-3 oz if the vehicle is bad.

J.J.
06-14-2005, 03:36 PM
For an SUV, no more than 5 oz. I would say!

JJ

SpoiledMan
06-14-2005, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by TW85 HHI

Not necessarily. Depending on the condition and size of a vehicle, it can take a significant amount of polish to correct the paint to your liking. However, I would dare say you used too much product. I think the most I have ever used on a single vehicle was 8 oz. ;)

That`s too much too. You`re wasting product or using the wrong process and likely need to step up to something more abrasive and then back to the lighter polish. If it`s your fancy to waste then it`s not too much but a pro would go broke like this.

holland_patrick
06-14-2005, 03:54 PM
did he forget to tell you that he ordered a gallon from PB:shocked

the other pc
06-14-2005, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by SpoiledMan

... Don`t feel bad, I saw a guy use about 30 oz. of #80 on a BMW Z4! What amazed me was how much that 6.5" pad was able to hold. It was like he emptied half the bottle "priming" it.

PC.

NavindraLR
06-14-2005, 04:15 PM
damn thats a lot of product... i prob use between 1-3 oz

TW85 HHI
06-14-2005, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by SpoiledMan

That`s too much too. You`re wasting product or using the wrong process and likely need to step up to something more abrasive and then back to the lighter polish. If it`s your fancy to waste then it`s not too much but a pro would go broke like this.

I`m not going to justify to you using 8 oz. of polish on a car. It took what it took and the results were still not to my liking. As far as how aggressive my pad and product were, the combination was SFX1 polish/SFX1 pad using various speeds on the PC.

Most vehicles I get by with using 1-4 oz. of polish.

SpoiledMan
06-14-2005, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by TW85 HHI

I`m not going to justify to you using 8 oz. of polish on a car. It took what it took and the results were still not to my liking. As far as how aggressive my pad and product were, the combination was SFX1 polish/SFX1 pad using various speeds on the PC.

Most vehicles I get by with using 1-4 oz. of polish.

I didn`t say you had to. I simply said it was too much polish. No hard feelings.