PDA

View Full Version : Autoglym Extra gloss sealant, how many coats?

rivest777
06-13-2005, 07:49 PM
hey everyone,

title basically says it all, except another question, can you polish the sealant off if you need to work the paint if you miss a scratch or w/e?

imported_perry
06-13-2005, 08:16 PM
As many as you want? ;) 2 to ensure complete coverage everywhere, in case you miss a spot the first time, ya know?

An abrasive polish would cut right through it.

rivest777
06-13-2005, 10:39 PM
thanx alot man, i did one coat for now and man does it shine, best ive ever seen my paint before, even if its still an `05 haha. i read somewhere that its best with like 3 coats then a coat of wax and hten its amazingly shiney, should i bother?

Big Leegr
06-14-2005, 02:43 AM
Only you will know if the extra steps are worth it. Maybe space them out a bit (weekly) and you`ll extend the protection period and ensure the layers have fully cured. However, you may not notice if there is enough difference to warrant the added layers.

D3mon
06-14-2005, 03:05 AM
Leave a good 24 hours between coats. As has been said before, 2 coats will get a good coverage, but I`m unsure as to whether you`ll see benefit of any additional coats as it is a very thin product.

Lowejackson
06-14-2005, 04:29 AM
Autoglym say EGP can be layered, the decison to use a wax is a personal choice

gkerr4
06-14-2005, 05:20 AM
I used a few coats over winter on my silver BMW 3-series. It is very good and I am sure it is layerable (if thats a word!)

th finish seemed to add depth with each application. Basicaly between November and feb / march this year I added a coat whenever the weather would allow me. I would say that 3 coats is about as good as it gets. after that it makes no odds and is just for protection (also you start losing some of it anyway)

Go ahead for three coats - it is so easy to put on / take off anyway. When you get sick of applying it, then go for a wax on top. (my favourite on top was souveran, closely followed by #16 which thankfully lasts longe than the souveran!)

Graham

D3mon
06-14-2005, 05:23 AM
Hehe yes, like shampoo companies say your hair *might* need a second wash.

The more you chew through that product, the more you have to buy - business success.

LamboJay
06-14-2005, 06:06 AM
I use SRP/EGP exclusively on my car. Great products.

I put 2 layers on just to ensure 100% coverage. But I can`t honestly see any difference between the 1st and 2nd coat. I put the first layer on in a front to back pattern and the second top to bottom.

I`ve tried topping EGP with P21S and again, I couldn`t see much of a difference. The EGP looks fantastic, is extremely simple to use and lasts forever (on my garaged car).

That gives me an idea for a new thread... :)