PDA

View Full Version : pads wearing out ??

gav'spurplez
06-13-2005, 05:08 PM
how long do pads last ?? how do you guys clean them ??

i usually use hand soap, but i read in the sonus pamphlet that came with their pads, to use dish liquid. well i have tried both methods and get the same results.

one of my yellow cma pads seems "flat" and after polishing half of a car it seems "blah" i then rinse it with the hose and polish the other half of the car. i take it that pads can lose their cutting abilities ?? a finishing pad should be ok right ??

eh, still learning about all these wonderful products,

gav'spurplez
06-14-2005, 06:29 PM
:nixweiss

only 37 views and no replies,

c`mon guys help me out :xyxthumbs

White95Max
06-14-2005, 06:46 PM
Pics maybe?

I haven`t had any problems with my pads yet so I can`t completely understand your issue.

Oh and I wash mine by hand in a bucket with Dawn and warm water. I let them soak for at least 20 minutes, and then rinse them out thoroughly. They dry by being sandwiched between a MF towel, and then air dry the rest of the way. I put them in a container and build a little shelter with my plastic storage containers so the pads are sheltered from dust while drying. :D

imported_themightytimmah
06-14-2005, 08:31 PM
I just started using Snappy powder, and I like it a lot. Prior to that, I used Dawn in a bucket, and then later APC in the washing machine. Both worked fine, just had a lil soap residue to wash out, which I find happens less with the Snappy.

JasonD
06-14-2005, 08:52 PM
I use hot water and Dawn to clean my pads. Throw them straight into a bucket of cleaning solution (soap and water) immediately after use. Once the product dries in the pad, it`s harder to get out. Anyway, I usually let mine soak overnight and them come back with the hose to clean them out, and then air dry.

I have found that all pads are very aggressive until they become primed, and then they mellow out a bit. This is most noticeable when they are new, so this might be what you are experiencing, and *should* be normal.

So far, I haven`t worn out a pad yet. I`ve destroyed a couple by using too much pressure and a mishap with the backingplate, but never literally wearing them out, and I`ve had my current pad selection at least a year.

You should be getting quite a few details out of your pads to say the least, if you take car of them and don`t abuse them.

trueblueblood
06-14-2005, 09:12 PM
No problems with my Excels alittle chewed up here and there but still going good and I just started machine washing mine after a dawn soak, using APC and micro restore, and a vinegar rinse with no ill effects and they come out squeaky clean.

JasonD
06-14-2005, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by true blue blood

No problems with my Excels alittle chewed up here and there but still going good and I just started machine washing mine after a dawn soak, using APC and micro restore, and a vinegar rinse with no ill effects and they come out squeaky clean.

You might want to keep an eye on the velcro backing using this wash method. What type of washer do you have? Front loader, or top loader w/ agitator? I would think that a front loader and/or a calypso style washer would probably be okay, but the agitator style can get pretty rough with them.

trueblueblood
06-14-2005, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by JDookie

You might want to keep an eye on the velcro backing using this wash method. What type of washer do you have? Front loader, or top loader w/ agitator? I would think that a front loader and/or a calypso style washer would probably be okay, but the agitator style can get pretty rough with them.

Its a top loader and always use the slow wash slow rinse setting permanent press I believe, I`ll keep an eye on that:xyxthumbs. If so I`ll start using a mesh bag.

gav'spurplez
06-15-2005, 08:43 AM
i do not put my pads in thw ashing machine,

letting the pads soak for any long period of time does not do anything to the backing ??

it does not loosen the adhesive that is used ??

my 1st set of cma pads i needed to send back and get replacements due to the velcro backing coming apart.

how many cars should you get out of a pad ?? aggressive ones ?? 3-5 7-10 or more than 10 ??

ah,

White95Max
06-15-2005, 10:12 AM
I haven`t had any problems with the velcro coming off. I don`t use HOT water...that might cause the adhesive to loosen.

Some of my pads have probably been used over 10 times now, and are still going strong. :up

a.k.a. Patrick
06-15-2005, 12:44 PM
Tip of the day for pad use.............

Keep them flat, and dont buff/polish with the edge!!

trueblueblood
06-15-2005, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by a.k.a. Patrick

Keep them flat, and dont buff/polish with the edge!!

What he said :o