PDA

View Full Version : Pinnacle PolyClay

PCG
06-13-2005, 11:42 AM
A search on this clay yielded a variety of opinions. To some degree, it`s already given me the answers I need. It seems that this clay is prone to leaving residue behind...

Griots and Sonus clays both work great and don`t leave behind any residues on my paint. I have tried both Griots SpeedShine as well as a car wash solution, both with good results and a clean surface when I wipe away the lube. The PolyClay, however, leaves an impressive amount of residue behind and really doesn`t glide that well over the paint either.

Has anyone found a lubricant that works well with the PolyClay? I`ve got ClayMagic lube as well as Sonus in the mail heading towards me. I have a feeling I`m going to be returning the PolyClay though.

Thoughts?

FlyingDog
06-13-2005, 12:09 PM
i`ve used polyclay with pinnacle`s clay lubricant with no problems for quite some time now. the light color allows you to easily see the condition of the clay.

Joel
06-13-2005, 01:16 PM
I used polyclay with soapy water and didnt have any problem. I never tried it with a lub, but I know pinnacle have is own. Personnaly I were quite satisfied with it, but the only comparaison I have is Meg quick clay. Which I like, but is quite expensive in Canada.

PCG
06-13-2005, 02:51 PM
I guess I should add that I was trying to use the clay over a month old layer of FMJ.

That`s my only other theory as to why the clay would be performing so poorly. Then again, Sonus and Griots are having no issues.

SK2003TypeS
06-14-2005, 07:52 AM
I`ve used Pinnacle`s clay lube, it`s nice, but Meg`s GC mixed with water is cheaper and as effective.

SilverLexus
06-14-2005, 08:42 AM
Michael Luca (1 Clean WS6) and I have not found this to be a great clay.

In my experience it is less durable and less effective than Sonus or Claymagic.

One of the few bummers in the otherwise superb Pinnacle line. :(

SK2003TypeS
06-14-2005, 09:11 AM
I agree with the durability factor. It tends to break up on me sooner than I think it should. Usually by then, I`m getting ready to throw it away,...but still.

JustinR32
06-14-2005, 09:17 AM
I`ve had no problems with it. The ONLY clay I ever had trouble with was the old Meguiar`s hard white/gray clay, that they discontinued a couple years ago. Otherwise, all the other clays I`ve used have been essentially similar. My preferred lube for clay is Meguiar`s Quik Detailer in the maroon bottle; cheap and effective. I prefer it to soapy water, (cheaper, but inconvenient when not washing) or the Clay Magic lube (meh), and to the other qds (more expensive).

Tom

Spilchy
06-14-2005, 09:21 AM
The only clay I use. Durable, huge bar and effective (http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/auto_marine_aero/automotive_aftermarket/node_GS2N6B7G6Wgs/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_GSLPLPKL4Xge/bgel_GSRTB2ST6Nbl/gvel_GS8YZJM58Lgl/theme_us_aad_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html)

im_wicked247
06-25-2005, 12:38 AM
I`ve used Pinnacle`s clay lube, it`s nice, but Meg`s GC mixed with water is cheaper and as effective.

What raito of water to Meg`s GC? Do you use distiled water?

Setec Astronomy
06-25-2005, 06:14 AM
The only clay I use. Durable, huge bar and effective (http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/auto_marine_aero/automotive_aftermarket/node_GS2N6B7G6Wgs/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_GSLPLPKL4Xge/bgel_GSRTB2ST6Nbl/gvel_GS8YZJM58Lgl/theme_us_aad_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html)

Where do you get that 3M clay, Spilchy? What is the cost like?

AMDin93103
06-25-2005, 07:46 AM
I buy my clay from DetailNet (http://www.detailnet.com/catalog.php?action=110&cat_id=31) by the case of six. CS is nice to me and even though it comes out of FL it breaks down to about $18.XX shipped to Ca. My local ABS wanted ~$28 and I laughed. DetailNet had no problem switching out a blue bar for a red. For more frequent clients I use CK clay and although it is a bit brittle, it saves the paint a little more than some might. HTH.

Bobby G
06-25-2005, 07:51 AM
I`d like to drop a general note here about clay and clay lubricants again. I have done extensive research with clay over the past year. One of the research that I conducted is what causes clay to get mushy and begin to fall apart. I concluded the following:

1. Alcohol, in all forms, makes clay break down faster than water. Most detailing sprays contain some amount of alcohol.

2. Harsh detergents (sufactants) will cause clay to get mushy.

3. Warm/hot water makes clay susceptible to "mushing out"

4. Extended exposure to soapy water (leaving your clay in the bucket" causes clay to "mush out".

My final conclusion was that a glycerine based solution was the only lubricant that would properly protect both the paint finish and the clay.

Also, as a matter of pure fact, there is only one legal clay manufacturer remaining that brings product in to North America. All brands of detailing clay now sold in North America will be based on the same "clay compound". The difference in the clay you get from different brands will be the abrasive particle size, the quantity of abrasive material, the color, the bar size, and the packaging.

So, what makes one bar "mush out" faster than another? I have concluded there are two factors:

1. Quantity of abrasive in the clay mixture; and

2. The size of the abrasive particles.

If I can find the time to assemble all of my notes, I will publish the complete findings of my study.

db

Bill D
06-25-2005, 07:58 AM
EXCELLENT info David! :2thumbs: I`m anxiously awaiting your complete findings!

SK2003TypeS
06-27-2005, 06:38 AM
What raito of water to Meg`s GC? Do you use distiled water?

I put about a half of a shot glass of GC in and the rest is water. I`m not sure how much water my garden sprayer holds (I`m guessing roughly a gallon). This is with regular water. For this mix and car wash mix, I`m eyeballing my amounts. For some products it took a little experimenting. Initially, NXT wash use to streak for me, but I eventually found a comfortable ratio that has lead me to like this product.