PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Microfiber - separate towels used for different products?

avalys
06-13-2005, 11:35 AM
I just did my first major detail on my car, and have a bunch of dirty Microfiber towels that I need to clean. Some were used for removing tar, others for removing various Zaino products, others for glass cleaning, others for drying, others for removing 3M PI-II Machine Glaze, etc.

My question is, can I just dump all these into the washing machine, or should I try to separate out the dirtier towels from the clean ones? The towels with 3M MG in particular are filthy, and I`d hate for some of the abrasives lodged in them to come off and stick to my drying towel in the washing machine.

Also, how well do abrasive polishes and the like come out of Microfiber products? Even if I thoroughly wash the towels I used to remove 3M MG, would it be dumb of me to use them to remove Zaino when I put another coat on in a week?

I bought a bottle of "Micro-Restore" from CMA to use as a detergent, if that makes a difference.

gav'spurplez
06-13-2005, 05:17 PM
i have not used the micro restore yet, but want to try it.

i would seperate the dirtier towels. what i do is put all towels in a bucket with some laundry detergent and let them soak, i them ring them out and repeat the process.

this way all of the residue does not contaminate other towels, or more importantly, the washing machine. my parents would go nuts, :nono

imported_CBX Carl
06-18-2005, 06:07 AM
I follow the pre-soak for the dirtiest towels and use what-ever laundry soap is around. I have at times used Simple Green Cleaner as a MF wash in the washer and it work well releasing the residue from the MF towels.

LouisanaJeeper
06-18-2005, 06:39 AM
man some of you guys are too OCD

just put them all in the washer together with some all and run them thru twice if you are OCD

Aequitas
06-18-2005, 07:02 AM
I have two different bins that I put dirty mf`s in, one for real dirty ones that had been used on tires/wheels/door frams/ etc and then the other is for ones that were used for buffing/drying/glass/ etc. The real dirty ones I presoak but the others I just throw in the washer.

medic159
06-18-2005, 07:32 AM
I`ve said this in another thread... towels are not fragile, wash in HOT water using a pre-soak setting if really dirty, wash twice if need be. Dryer: hot for cottons and natural fibers, warm for plastics (polyester, nylon, etc.)

Good old liquid detergents such as Tide, All, Era, etc. are the best. Just don`t add softeners or bleach. No need to for high priced specialty cleaners which are no different than the store bought kind.

Oh, and yes, you can wash them together unless y ou have a really greasy towel.

Spilchy
06-18-2005, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by DFTowel

Good old liquid detergents such as Tide, All, Era, etc. are the best. Just don`t add softeners or bleach. No need to for high priced specialty cleaners which are no different than the store bought kind.

:bow

People continually waste their money on this MicroRestore stuff. It`s unbeleivable. I have used it and concluded that it is the most economically inefficient way to clean MF`s.

Tide with hot water does wonders :up I also add an ounce of Simple Green which works great to break down serious stains from grease and caked in wax.

That coupled with an extra rinse with vinegar has kept my MF`s clean, fluffy and safe to use for a few years.

BigAl3
06-18-2005, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Spilchy

Tide with hot water does wonders

agreed, and if my mf`s are really dirty... i`ll throw a scoop of oxyclean and it cleans them right up. :up

Accumulator
06-21-2005, 09:20 AM
People continually waste their money on this MicroRestore stuff. It`s unbeleivable. I have used it and concluded that it is the most economically inefficient way to clean MF`s...[regular detergents] coupled with an extra rinse with vinegar has kept my MF`s clean, fluffy and safe to use for a few years.

My experience was different...no way am I gonna argue textiles or their care with DFTowel (or tell *anybody* that I`m disregarding their experience), but the only way *I* can keep my detailing cloths soft is to wash them with MicroRestore. It truly worked miracles on my MFs and my CBTs, which were getting stiff no matter what I tried (vinegar final rinses helped a little).

I suspect my situation is a matter of water quality, but all I *truly* know is what happens when I use different approaches.

I use the correct amount of detergent (not too much), at least three rinses, the last one with distilled white vinegar, and my water is double filtered (5 micron filters) and conditioned (potassium chloride, and the "softener" is working properly). I get the same results with both my conventional and "Calypso" washing machines. If I didn`t need to use the MicroRestore I`d save my money....

Bill D
06-21-2005, 09:32 AM
I already use a "boutique" laundry detergent with all my laundry and MFs as well. Splendid results. I`m wondering how Micro Restore will work on clothes.

imported_Denzil
06-21-2005, 11:35 AM
I just separate mine according to the quality of towels. Oh and I use liquid/powder detergent, basically whatever is available. If the towels are really really dirty (the lower quality towels of course), I mix in some OxyClean with the detergent and it does fine. There`s really no need to get all the stains out and what not, especially for the work-horse towels. :)

jetskie
06-21-2005, 12:57 PM
man some of you guys are too OCD

just put them all in the washer together with some all and run them thru twice if you are OCD

I do the prewash in a bucket more to have less wax and chemical residue in my washer than out of being OCD.

I would not use hot water as the MF tend to deform at temperatures of 140 and that is how hot the water can get. I do suggest puting in some APC to remove the heavy junk and liquid Tide works fine. I usually do a double rinse to make sure most of the residue off the towel and my machine. I would not want thoes chemical residue on my clothes.