PDA

View Full Version : Overkill step in my process? Silver car

MTO44
06-12-2005, 07:09 AM
I own a fairly new Tit Silver BMW. The paint is in great shape. Unlike my previous dark blue car, It seems no matter how hard I try I will never get the same look on the silver car as I could on the dark car, no matter what combo`s I try(VM+UPP, AIO+BF, AIO+VM+S100). So here is my question, other then doing a full detail (SMR if necessary, AIO,VM or RMG, UPP and Wax) every 6 months, what would your process be to keep the silver paint looking its best between full details? Wash, RMG plus wax? Wash and RMG? Wash and wax? Wash and detail spray? or is there a one step product like 1Z Met PolishWax that I can use after the wash? I ask this question only because I find myself working on my car wondering if I am in the OVERKILL step, the step of diminishing returns, the step I am sure we all have done in the past. Your advice is appreciated.

Thomas Dekany
06-12-2005, 07:26 AM
do you have a picture of the car you can post?

I would suggest Pink wax over PwC and start layering Pink wax with every wash for awhile.

Here is an example for you. Do you like this look?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/tdekany/tn_118_1854.jpg

spotpad
06-12-2005, 07:27 AM
To keep the paint in good shape in between full details, I always use a quick detailer (Mother`s Showtime) after every wash. I re-apply wax every month - well before the previous layer of wax is gone.

That said, you could put two layers of wax (24-48 hours apart) initially. Then every two weeks, add glaze and wax. :D

Don`t worry about not getting the same look on your silver car. 95% of the time your silver car will look better than a dark-colored car because dust and swirls aren`t as obvious.

I`ve had two black cars and my next one will be silver! I`ve realized that there`s more to life than having perfect paint so I`m learning to live with "good enough".

Are you polishing by hand or by PC?

C. Charles Hahn
06-12-2005, 07:49 AM
Just do a re-wax every couple weeks; thats what I have my customers do. I tell them "bring it for a full detail on the paint every six months, hand wash weekly, and every other week put a coat of wax on.

Initially, I have been going with either #20, NXT, or S100... or any combo of those (NXT topped /w S100 or #20 topped /w S100) and seem to get good results.

In fact it has been seeming like all I detail anymore are light colored cars since thats all my customers keep bringing me (I`m sick of white, silver, and pewter! I want a dark colored vehicle back :()

Here are a few pics in my gallery: http://hahn-on-the.net/autocare/gallery_1.htm

The Aztek has #20 alone on it, the Bonneville has NXT /w S100, the Camaro is NXT alone, the caddy is S100 alone, and the blazer is... I think, old Z5. (not sure on that one since it was my truck and I was always trying different stuff on it) :up

MTO44
06-12-2005, 08:01 AM
Tdekany -who makes pink wax? Why is it better then S100 or Pinnicle Souv?

Merci- I have a PC that I use on the hood and trunk. Have trouble using on the side.

Shiny-What is your full detail process on Silver cars (Polish, Glaze, Wax)? What shampoo do you recommend for weekly washing? What polish and pad is best to remove a very light micro marring on fairly new paint? Thanks everyone.

SilverLexus
06-12-2005, 09:16 AM
I use P21S Bodywork Shampoo or 1Z Exclusiv for a wash, Sonus Block clay, PB SSR2.5 (every 6 months), Klasse AIO and Pinnacle Souveran. The car is easy to maintain..I just Spray & Wipe after rains and use Crystal Mist often and everything holds up nicely.

I`m very pleased with the look. :)

hdi136
06-12-2005, 10:04 AM
Ive just used Nattys wax over EX-P on my Peugeot 307. The results realy impressed me and I`ve had a lot of good comments. I dont know how durable the Nattys is yet but I plan to wax every month anyway.

For the results see my car in the "Click and Brag" forum under "Peugeot 307Sxi Hdi136!"

I hope this gives you some ideas.

Accumulator
06-12-2005, 11:17 AM
If you don`t mind redoing it all the time, just use Souveran over 1Z MP. But get the finish *perfect* before you apply the Souveran. It should be literally blinding in the sun, with the metallic "popping". And it should look fine in all lighting (inspection and marring removal is tricky with silver).

But I use UPP on *my* good silver car, refreshing it whenever it loses slickness. Best look I`ve ever achieved on that color, but it was probably all in the prep (dozens of hours of prep too ;) ).

MTO44
06-13-2005, 05:40 AM
Accumulator, What do you do before you refresh UPP, just wash and then put new layer of UPP on top?

Accumulator
06-13-2005, 08:59 AM
Yeah, with maybe a *very* gentle spot-claying as needed. Eventually I`ll have to strip it off (I`ll probably use a solvent) and give it a light polishing with the 1z Pro MP, but that car seldom gets dirty, let alone marred, so it doesn`t need much besides washes.

With the UPP`s slickness I find it doesn`t take much to keep the S8 in tip-top shape. The trick seems to be in not letting it get too dirty.

C. Charles Hahn
06-13-2005, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by MTO44

Shiny-What is your full detail process on Silver cars (Polish, Glaze, Wax)? What shampoo do you recommend for weekly washing? What polish and pad is best to remove a very light micro marring on fairly new paint? Thanks everyone.

I don`t use glaze, first of all. I don`t believe in it because I feel that a glaze is only an attempt to hide defects that I`d rather just remove; a glaze is temporary, whereas a removal is permanent with proper care.

As for the polish I use, it depends on the car. I use the Meguiar`s Mirror Glaze polishes, #83, 82 or 81 depending on application. For your micro-marring I`d probably hit it with 81, using the PC and a Meguiar`s Yellow Polishing Pad (W-8006) at around speed 5.

As far as wax, it depends on my mood and what the customer wants. I mostly find myself using NXT, #20, or S100, though I`ve used Z2Pro with good results as well. :xyxthumbs

For weekly washing I just use QEW most of the time, and Z7 when I do a full wash.

White95Max
06-13-2005, 10:07 AM
I would apply another coat of wax every few weeks to keep it looking its best. I have taken my S&G over to my neighbor`s house a few times too, to use on his silver Sonata after he washes it. S&G is a fantastic product; I use it on my car after every other wash unless I wax it.

BigAl3
06-13-2005, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by merci

To keep the paint in good shape in between full details, I always use a quick detailer after every wash

agreed. it leaves a gloss and any dirt, etc... just glides off when washing.

MTO44
06-13-2005, 10:20 AM
What is S&G?

TW85 HHI
06-13-2005, 10:25 AM
Poorboy`s Spray & Gloss. Really is a nice product if you are looking for gloss in place of warmth and depth.