PDA

View Full Version : Peeling plastic on chrome trim

Boongie
06-11-2005, 07:56 PM
Well, I just found another "minor" problem with my "new" 2005 Toyota Camry. The door has a color-keyed molding running along it. Inset in this plastic molding is a chrome or chromed-plastic piece. It turns out that Toyota covers this chrome piece with clear plastic (I suppose as a protector). It is this clear plastic that has a small section of it that has been cut and is starting to peel. Is there any way to stop the peeling without having to replace the entire piece of molding?

Lowejackson
06-12-2005, 04:22 AM
I would suspect there is very little you can do aside from getting a new strip. Take it back to the garage for a new (free) one

rollman
06-12-2005, 09:26 AM
Bring your 2005 Toyota back to the dealer . They should cover this problem .

Accumulator
06-12-2005, 11:09 AM
Yeah, with such a new car just get a new piece of trim.

For anybody else with this problem, I had a spot where the chrome was coming off the (plastic) grill of the XJS from where it got a stone chip. I applied coat after coat of KSG. It`s now been years and it`s held up fine. Had it been a larger chip I would`ve applied a drop of clear paint first, but this seems to be working out well (pleasantly surprised).

Boongie
06-12-2005, 01:44 PM
Sorry, I forgot to mention that my "new" Camry was a dealer demo model with 5,000 miles on it. It had never been titled, though. I have not yet asked the dealer to replace it...not sure if they would. Perhaps I could try a small amount of clear coat touch up paint to the peeling clear plastic...unless the touch up paint solvents would dissolve the plastic?

Accumulator
06-12-2005, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Boongie

Sorry, I forgot to mention that my "new" Camry was a dealer demo model with 5,000 miles on it. It had never been titled, though. I have not yet asked the dealer to replace it...not sure if they would...

I`d try to get them to replace it. It`s all up to the dealer or, beyond that, the regional rep. I`ve had dealerships do some pretty impressive "gimmes" to keep me happy (and I`ve had some others who lost me as a customer).

Ben Z.
06-12-2005, 02:36 PM
Are you sure it`s not that plasic film they put on all kinds of stuff that you are supposed to pull off?

Boongie
06-12-2005, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Ben Z.

Are you sure it`s not that plasic film they put on all kinds of stuff that you are supposed to pull off?

Not sure...I am going back to the dealer in the morning to have them touch up some other things and I will ask then.