PDA

View Full Version : I`m thinking, sealants might finally be right for me

Pages : [1] 2

JustinR32
06-11-2005, 07:23 PM
It has to do with the way my driving habits have changed. The Miata used to be the fun weekend car, and the "other" car was the go-to-work car.

But my new job is 39 miles away, 78 miles round trip each day, and the sedan is a leased vehicle. Even at the 15k a year that my lease is, I`d be in deep mud if I used the Sube all summer for the daily driver. I have to save those miles for winter.

So the Miata now has to roll on the miles. I put a thousand on in the last two weeks. If I garage the Miata, the Subaru sits under a tree and gets sapped on (because I have to park it so that I can get the M out of the garage); but I can park the Miata outside the garage blocking the Subaru in, and it`ll be out from under the tree.

So, in order to get max protection, I`m going sealants on the Miata. I just used the new Meguiar`s #21 on it. I`ll say this about #21: remember that Star Trek episode where the crew got some sticky stuff on their hands that wouldn`t come off? I got this sealant on my hands and it took some serious scrubbing with APC and a terry towel to get it off. And the car is shiny as all h-e- double hockey sticks. I have never seen a product that spreads as thinly and is as sticky as #21. SG spreads as thinly, but it doesn`t have that elastic feeling when you apply it, like #21 does.

I`m not getting into this brand name or that brand name; you guys know I think they`re ALL good. I have some SG, some #20, #21, NXT, some UPP... enough stuff to last a while. I can #7 and `nuba it for the shows, but I`m thinking it`s going to be a sealant world for a while now. `Nuba just isn`t going to be practical for maintaining the car.

Tom

JasonD
06-11-2005, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Mosca

I`m not getting into this brand name or that brand name; you guys know I think they`re ALL good. I have some SG, some #20, #21, NXT, some UPP... enough stuff to last a while. I can #7 and `nuba it for the shows, but I`m thinking it`s going to be a sealant world for a while now. `Nuba just isn`t going to be practical for maintaining the car.

Exactly the way I feel. :xyxthumbs

JasonC8301
06-11-2005, 07:54 PM
Amen to that, I also love having the selection to pick from, sort of like what kind of clothes I feel like wearing.

(too bad I stick to Zaino on my own car)

I`m in the testing phase of Meguiar`s #21 too, so far I like the shine, just gotta see durability. (Reminds me of Alien doo doo, the purple neon stuff.)

wannafbody
06-11-2005, 07:56 PM
well you should be able to use the #7 under the #21 and get the best of both worlds

Scottwax
06-11-2005, 09:01 PM
Tom-have you tried that Shokar sample I sent you yet?

I really need to try some #21 one of these days. Once I burn through some of my current LSPs I`ll have to give it a try. Keep us posted on the durability.

JustinR32
06-12-2005, 03:47 AM
Geez Scott, I forgot it; I`m sorry! It`s in the kitchen cabinet because that`s where I opened the mail that day, in the kitchen!

"Honey, what should I throw into the chili this time? I have some habaneros, some pork shoulder, garlic, some Shokar...."

Tom

imported_Axe
06-12-2005, 04:29 AM
Sorry for the dumb question, but what is #21? Looking at the secret decoder ring, 21 isn`t listed ?

Lowejackson
06-12-2005, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by Axe

Sorry for the dumb question, but what is #21? Looking at the secret decoder ring, 21 isn`t listed ?

http://www.meguiars.com/estore/product_detailpage.cfm?product=Synthetic-Sealant&sku=M-21

"Synthetic polymer formulation provides technologically advanced paint care and protection. Synthetic Sealant produces a noticeably deeper, more reflective paint finish. This advanced synthetic polymer formula delivers extreme protection and eliminates fine scratches and swirls, creating a flawless finish. Synthetic Sealant glides on easily with a smooth, resistance-free wipe-off"

imported_jgv
06-12-2005, 05:31 AM
For those who know both, how does #21 compares to MPP?

imported_themightytimmah
06-12-2005, 08:53 AM
Mosca,

I`d highly suggest trying Collinite. IMHO, it lasts just as well as any sealant, and has a deeper look to boot.

JustinR32
06-12-2005, 04:17 PM
#21 is MUCH easier to use than MPPP. It wipes on fast, wipes off fast, spreads like nothing else I`ve ever seen

timmah, I`ve used the Collinites and they aren`t for me. I got different results than you did, I`m sorry to say. I didn`t care for the look.

Tom

Mochamanz1
06-13-2005, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by Scottwax

Tom-have you tried that Shokar sample I sent you yet?

Where the heck do you guys find ShoKar? I havent been able to find anything of that name... or is ShoKar a nick name for something branded by another name...?:nixweiss

Megs #20 is a good product to start with. You can always top it with your favorite carnauba..:xyxthumbs

SK2003TypeS
06-13-2005, 08:30 AM
I hear ya. Sealants on daily drivers just make sense to me. I go months without anything but regular washing.

JustinR32
06-13-2005, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by mochamanz

Megs #20 is a good product to start with. You can always top it with your favorite carnauba..:xyxthumbs

Hehe.... youse guys always tryin` to get me!

#20 actually looks really phenomenal on the Subaru. Saturday night I was looking at it, and it has that "glow". Remember that I got to start with a fresh car, and I`m already a known fanatic. So far it`s 4 months, 4200 miles and swirl free. I`ve really liked 3 different things on it: Zaino, NXT, and #20. All of those gave it that "ice cream" look, wet and white, but it`s almost impossible to get any depth because of the "satin pearl". I`m going to try for a picture one of these evenings if I get home before darkness falls.

"My theory":

The illusion of depth isn`t caused so much by reflection, but by the absence of swirls that give the eye what I call "surface cues". The more a person can see imperfections, the more obvious the actual paint surface is. Removing swirls = adding depth!

The satin pearl metalflake of the Subaru has its own depth/layer that draws the eye to it, making it impossible to "undefine" the surface, which is what we are trying to do when we polish out swirls and acid rain spots.

Older sealants that gave the "wrapped in plastic" look added surface cues by causing reflection before the light hit and reflected the color. Having used Z, I will say that I didn`t notice a "wrapped in plastic" look at all. Newer sealants do a better job of "vanishing", IMO.

End of "my theory"

I`ve used #20 on the red Miata, and it`s got a very hard look compared to #26 and #21, and NXT, but it`s still within the Meguiar`s Family look; very balanced and "handsome", not doing any one thing best but providing an even presentation.

Tom

the other pc
06-13-2005, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Axe

.. Looking at the secret decoder ring, 21 isn`t listed ? New product, but not that new. Looks like the decoder ring could use an undate.

PC.