PDA

View Full Version : new klasse user...how/when to deal with swirls

imported_steveo3002
06-11-2005, 02:14 PM
okay i have some klasse aio and sg on its way

i have a few MINOR swirls and blemishes

at what stage should i deal with them?? before or after the aio?

sorry if its been asked before...i did have a look for answers

515colfelt
06-11-2005, 02:31 PM
Welcome to Autopia Steveo,

I would definitely say that the swirls/imperfections need to be rectified before the AIO/SG combo. Even with minor swirls you would need something REASONABLY abrasive to take them out, so the AIO would be removed anyway.

AIO provides a good clean acrylic base for SG or other sealants.

Peter

Douxebris
06-11-2005, 02:31 PM
AIO will do nothing to remove scratches. Use something that will (ie: Megs #9 #80 et al) before proceeding to AIO and SG. If you have any scratches, Klasse will highlight them, rather than obscure them.

imported_steveo3002
06-11-2005, 02:37 PM
so say if i aio and it highlights something nasty. should i deal with it and aio again?

Bill D
06-11-2005, 02:37 PM
Please do not post duplicate threads. Thank you

Douxebris
06-11-2005, 03:04 PM
After washing/claying the car, look at it under good lighting, or pull it out into the sunlight. Anything you see, fix it before starting the Klasse routine.

Accumulator
06-11-2005, 03:39 PM
I`d use something that doesn`t leave oils/fillers behind. The trouble with using products like #80 (which I do like, and use for other applications) before AIO is that the AIO will strip what the #80 leaves behind, exposing marring that was hidden but not removed. I`d use Menzerna or 3m PI-III stuff instead so that "what you see is what you really get". FWIW, when I`m gonna use the Klasse twins, I remove the marring with PI-III RC (pn 05933) followed by PI-III MG (pn 05937).

imported_steveo3002
06-12-2005, 01:57 AM
thats just what i was thinking Acumulator, alot of products leave behend a little something

another thought....i plan to aio, sg then top with a carnuba wax, when the finish starts to go after xx week should i top again with carnuba or a couple more sg then carnuba???

Accumulator
06-12-2005, 10:44 AM
Once I`ve applied carnauba over the KSG (which I don`t do any more) I don`t apply any more KSG unless I`ve prepped it with AIO again. So I`d get as much KSG on there as you think you`ll need (I`d go for 4-6 layers) before topping and then just refresh the topper when needed.

Lowejackson
06-13-2005, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by Jeff Laughhunn

... Anything you see, fix it before starting the Klasse routine.

100% agree. I find the Sonus polishes do not leave any fillers and are easy to work with.

imported_animes2k
06-13-2005, 08:19 AM
Maybe someone can explain to me how I`ve managed to reduce finer swirls and scratches with AIO via PC and polishing pad, since AIO isn`t supposed to take out such things (even though the bottle claims it does)... I`ve done two separate cars (one dark blue, one crystal white) and under the halogens and even direct sun, the swirls were significantly reduced. Maybe it`s less the AIO and more the pad?

Accumulator
06-13-2005, 09:05 AM
animes2k- If you like the results I wouldn`t worry too much about how you`re getting them ;)

The pad, the paint, how you see things... :nixweiss

People have posted this sort of result before and I`m always at a loss to explain it. It just doesn`t happen for me and it does happen for you, so lucky you :D