PDA

View Full Version : sheep skin mitt idea

Pages : [1] 2

PaulTso
06-11-2005, 10:04 AM
I love my mitt but i hate putting it on, then taking it off to rinse out, then putting it back into the soap solution and having to put it back on. And when you start washing, its a huge hassle to flip the mit around so you can use the other side.

my solution: cut off the elastic collar on the mit and just use the mitt as a sheep skin sponge. Has anybody tried this?

Bill D
06-11-2005, 10:11 AM
I`ve eliminated my buckets altogether as I use the foam gun and just reach for new,clean mitts during the wash session.

I have tried what you suggest and I found I have less control over the mitt. In fact, the mitt glided right off the paint as I was washing with it. So I stray away from this for now on. With the mitt over my hand I`m in control. Just a word of caution if you want to try it.

trueblueblood
06-11-2005, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Bill D

I`ve eliminated my buckets altogether as I use the foam gun and just reach for new,clean mitts during the wash session.

I have tried what you suggest and I found I have less control over the mitt. In fact, the mitt glided right off the paint as I was washing with it. So I stray away from this for now on. With the mitt over my hand I`m in control. Just a word of caution if you want to try it.

Can you expand on this Bill, I`ve seen a few mentions of this but which foam gun, how it works.... Or a link? :xyxthumbs

Bill D
06-11-2005, 10:30 AM
I`ll PM you some so we don`t go OT here :up

mtwedt
06-11-2005, 10:30 AM
If you want to try it out, why not give it a shot with the cuff still on and then if you don`t like or have control problems as Bill D described, you can go back to what you were doing before. The control thing might be solved by placing a 4X6" sponge inside the mitt.

jeff5614
06-11-2005, 10:34 AM
I turn the cuff inside and try to make sure I get as much wash solution inside the mitt as possible. It gets a lot of wash on the paint surface. More than just what you get if you keep your hand in the mitt, IMO.

JustinR32
06-11-2005, 10:35 AM
I cut the sleeves off my mitts when I buy them, and use them as sheepskin towels. I`ve been doing this for a few years now.

Tom

Bill D
06-11-2005, 10:36 AM
The sponge inside the mitt sounds like a great idea.( Got sponges collecting dust somewhere?) You`ll probably still want to avoid a very slippery mix like how I wind up making with the foam gun. Try it and let us know how it works.

SilverLexus
06-11-2005, 11:34 AM
I often don`t wear the mitt but just grab the mitt from the outside. This works fine but you need to hold on tight if you have a slick surface.

I agree with Bill that putting a sponge inside the mitt would work well. :)

PaulTso
06-11-2005, 12:46 PM
alriight, im going to do some hacking tonight.

J.J.
06-11-2005, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by SilverLexus

I often don`t wear the mitt but just grab the mitt from the outside. This works fine but you need to hold on tight if you have a slick surface.

This is what I do too! Works well IMO

Accumulator
06-11-2005, 03:34 PM
When I`m not using the foamgun, I`ll fill the mitt with wash solution by holding it under (in the wash bucket) with the cuff pointing up. When the mitt is full, I grab it by the cuff, hold the cuff shut, and whisk the mitt across the paint while the solution seeps out of it.

rollman
06-11-2005, 06:03 PM
Just hold the wash mitt tighter . I never put my hand in that thing. I use the cuff to get bugs off .:D

mtwedt
06-12-2005, 12:33 PM
I`m going to have to give the fill-the-mitt-with-solution approach a shot. It never occured to me to try it. It might save a trip or two up and down the ladder as one of my cars is an SUV. Great idea.

atticdog
06-12-2005, 12:43 PM
I was just wondering what weight sheepskin mitt do people like the best?