PDA

View Full Version : General purpose cleaner for carpet

Pages : [1] 2

hondaguy2582
06-10-2005, 08:13 PM
Yes I know, I have been here years upon years, and have done a search, but I have never really needed to clean my car`s carpet until now.

My carpet isn`t stained, just needs a general cleaning. What product can I pick up locally at advance, murrays auto parts, or homemade product that would work great? I have plenty of microfibers for wiping up soap, and a vaccum to get the rest up!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Aaron

Thomas Dekany
06-10-2005, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by hondaguy2582

Yes I know, I have been here years upon years, and have done a search, but I have never really needed to clean my car`s carpet until now.

My carpet isn`t stained, just needs a general cleaning. What product can I pick up locally at advance, murrays auto parts, or homemade product that would work great? I have plenty of microfibers for wiping up soap, and a vaccum to get the rest up!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Aaron

For me nothing beats Castrol`s super clean, but it was pulled.

I`d say folex from walmart. Good stuff.

Bill D
06-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Yeah, I`ll second Folex although I hear other cleaners that can be found in the same section at Home Depot do rather well too. In particular, Zep.

magictouch24
06-10-2005, 09:42 PM
As stated above, a lot of people have been praising Folex lately. I`ve never tried it, but for stains I typically spray my GP (general purpose) and scrub with a brush before I extract.

Today I did a minivan that looked like someone had literally taken a dump all over the entire interior, and before I started working I mixed hot water with about a half pint of Woolite and used a towel to liberally blot the carpet (very quickly, almost just to soak the entire carpet - no scrubbing) and I let it sit while I did the inside. When it came time to vacuuming, the carpets already looked 10 times better and I hadnt` even extracted yet.

imported_Denzil
06-10-2005, 11:34 PM
A 6:1 dilution of Woolite seems popular around here. Personally, I`ve tried both 10:1 and 6:1 dilutions and I think 10:1 suits me better because it doesn`t foam as much. :up

Maybe I will try Folex after I am out of Woolite and compare their differences. I still have the urge to get a LGCM despite the fact that I already have a Craftsman 5hp wet/dry vacuum.

maypo
06-13-2005, 02:14 PM
I have a minivan. I have kids. I have a minivan that looks like someone "literally taken a dump all over the entire interior". Actually my youngets actually tossed her cookies all over the interior.

Since I have kids, I also have one of those Bissel carpet cleaners. I brought it out to the garage and cleaned the carpets with that. I used Resolve Prespotter and the normal concentration with the cleaner. The carpets look clean and the inside does not stink. My wife said she wanted me to detail the inside, leather seats and all but I never knew the lengths that women go to get their way..... :-)

imported_themightytimmah
06-13-2005, 02:32 PM
Speedwise, a LGCM is a wise investment. If the inside is in good shape, you can just use the sprayer on it. As far as APCs, if your carpet is pretty clean I`d look for the best smelling APC I could find. That, or a foaming carpet shampoo would be my bet. Zep makes a pretty good shampoo, its what I use personally.

imported_Larry A
06-13-2005, 06:56 PM
Folex, Prestone uph. cleaner,Tuff Stuff, Woolite and water, I myself like ammonia and water 1 pint of ammonia to 1 gallon of water in a bucket dunk a towel in the solution wring out, wipe down carpet then wipe with a dry towel. You can go as high as 1 qt. of ammonia to 1 gallon of water if you can stand the smell. When it drys your car will have a clean smell.

Skotter
06-13-2005, 09:59 PM
What do you mean Super Clean was pulled?

imported_themightytimmah
06-14-2005, 10:05 AM
Its no longer made, cause its too strong for stupid people to use safely :). I was lucky enough to get 5 or 6 gallons from the local stores, some still have it. If you want an APC of comprable power anymore, you have to order it (Chemical Guys makes some pretty strong ones).

tom p.
06-14-2005, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Skotter

What do you mean Super Clean was pulled?

I haven`t seen that in my area. In fact, I just picked up a fresh gallon 2 weeks ago. It`s still in all the stores around here just like ScotchGuard !

mrzeee
06-14-2005, 10:34 AM
even though simple green isn`t in favor here...a heavily diluted solution has never failed me...and I actually like the way it smells...

brwill2005
06-14-2005, 05:50 PM
I would try Top of the Line`s Rug Renew carpet cleaner. I really like this product. Depending on how you dilute it, it is pretty versitile stuff. It can be used to remove tough stains, or highly dilluted for use in an extractor. I would try to stay away from powerful APC`s.

Skotter
06-14-2005, 11:17 PM
I`m still able to buy superclean by the gallon, heck, five gallon at my local napa, when is it supposed to be pulled?

Demon Detailer
06-15-2005, 01:24 PM
Any good "carpet cleaner" will work. I would stay away from APC`s also.

Most APC`s have non-ionic surfactants in them. They clean well, especially grease, but the non-ionics are good for hard surfaces (concrete, rims, etc.) not for carpets.

They leave a sticky residue behind. Then when you get into the vehicle with dirty shoes, the carpet will actually clean the bottom of your shoes and get the carpet dirtier faster.

A true "carpet cleaner" uses a dry foam tecnology. That means that any residue left behind by the cleaner dries to a friable powder. That powder is not sticky. It allows the carpet to be more fluffy and any powder residue will be removed with a vacuum.