PDA

View Full Version : Can`t get rid of the swirls

Pages : [1] 2

imported_UnsanePyro
06-10-2005, 04:39 PM
It`s a 1997 Acura 2.5 TL (Honda if you aren`t framiliar).

I just can`t seem to get a swirl free finish with the PC.

I`ve got Lake Coutny (I believe, not sure off the top of my head) pads. Black, blue, green, yellow, orange.

I decided to give the SSR that I just got a try today, since I was really impressed with the Natty`s Paste.

SSR2 with a green pad didn`t do anything for the swirling.

Another pass also left no noticable effect on the swirls.

I did both those passes at speeds from 4 to 5. I did notice a definately change to the color of the paint though, it seemed to be a bit darker than when I started. It`s green with some flake to it.

Since neither of those worked, I bumped up to a yellow pad, SSR2 again, speed around 4.5-5 most of the time. This didn`t do anything for the swirling either. I did get some very light hologramming though. :nixweiss

I`m not quite sure where this leaves me.

The pads are clean, towels are clean, car was clean. I worked the SSR2 until it began dusting, and then removed. I put some SSR2 on the pad, smeared a bit on the car to begin with, and went at it, up/down, left/right, and diagonal. I used a decent amount of pressure, firm, but not enough to bog down the PC.

Anyone know whats up?

MongooseGA
06-10-2005, 04:42 PM
Try a rotary :nixweiss

Good luck :)

imported_UnsanePyro
06-10-2005, 04:44 PM
Haha, I worry that if I can`t seem to do much with a PC, that a rotary may be too much for me. The whole idea of burning paint sort of worries me a bit.

JasonD
06-10-2005, 04:52 PM
Don`t give up just yet. There`s still more the PC has to offer you. SSR2 isn`t the most aggressive polish to be working on a hard clear with. It sounds like your process is correct, you just need a stronger polish, and maybe a more aggressive pad.

You mentioned black, blue, green, orange, and yellow pads. This sounds like Propel pads to me. Where did you get them from? What`s on the back of them, if anything?

Next, how big of an area were you polishing at a time? You were correct in polishing until it dusted, but if you polished too big of an area, the product flashed too quickly and you weren`t actually doing much in the way of polishing.

Before I go any farther, let`s start off here.

imported_Burlyq
06-10-2005, 04:54 PM
Increase RPM`s to 6, when using a finishing polish kick it down a notch.

imported_UnsanePyro
06-10-2005, 04:59 PM
JDookie: Yup, thats right, Propel is what I have, for some reason LC just seemed to be what came to mind.

I was hoping that the SSR2 would be enough, but I may pick up some SSR2.5 and SSR3, I have been really impressed by the poorboys line in general so far.

I didn`t think of the the product flashing too soon, I would put it on the pad, spread it over half a door (top half), and then work half of that half (so 1/4 of a door) and then the other side. That could very well be were my problem was, letting the product sit too long without being touched.

I`ll have to give it a try Sunady, tonight the sun is down, tomorrow is my HS graduation, and I think Sunday will be the first bit of free time I have.

JasonD
06-10-2005, 05:01 PM
Sounds like you are already figuring it out on your own. That`s exactly what I was going to suggest. Get a stronger polish, and work it longer, in smaller areas. :up

Also, try to polish on a higher speed. I like speed 5, with an occasional 6. Speed 6 seems to tear up the pads a bit, so I tend to stay on 5 most of the time.

FYI, if you ever want to get a step closer to a rotary without the dangers of a rotary, try out a Cyclo. After using one, you won`t go back to the PC for heavy polishing work anymore. :bow

Thomas Dekany
06-10-2005, 05:06 PM
I have never been able to remove swirls with ssr 2 - Minimum a ssr 2.5 is what`s needed. (mho) Orange (light cutting pad & SSR2.5 is an excelent combo.

J.J.
06-10-2005, 05:12 PM
I was able to try the cyclo this week. I was actually impressed with the machine and the work it does however, for the money, I would go with a rotary. The rotary is not as intimidating as everyone makes it out to be. I wish I would`ve bought the Makita instead of my PC. Although, I would have eventually bough a PC anyway b/c it`s such a great tool.

I just realized I contributed nothing to this thread... sorry!

JJ

imported_UnsanePyro
06-10-2005, 05:14 PM
I have some other polishes that I may try out. I have some Einzett polishes (strongest/medium, but not the light) and a very limited amount of SSR2.5.

I usually start out around 3.5-4, but end up working 4-5, I don`t like 6 because it just seems like it wants to cause trouble with the little PC.

Whats the deal with the cyclo? Could you point me towards any more info off the top of your head? I`ll search for it later on but the right direction would be cool.

TD: Thanks for the insight on what works for you, its always helpful. I`ll give it a try if I get a chance to pick up some SSR2.5

NEW AGAIN
06-10-2005, 05:15 PM
No disrespect, But take it to a professional detailer in your area and asked for some professional advise, An PC will NOT remove SEVERE swirls.

Thomas Dekany
06-10-2005, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by UnsanePyro

TD: Thanks for the insight on what works for you, its always helpful. I`ll give it a try if I get a chance to pick up some SSR2.5

You are welcome

PS: I always use speed 6 when doing paint correction. For me speed 4 or 5 is useless. Sorry.

JasonD
06-10-2005, 05:20 PM
1Z polishes are awesome. 1Z PP is good for almost anything, and UPP gets quite a bit of swirls and marring out with the right pad and process.

I agree with you, 6 is just too much for continuous use when using thick polishes. Now, when it comes to paint cleaning, 6 is the only way to go.

The Cyclo is a double 4" head polisher, and is quite a bit more robust than the PC. You can see it here: http://www.winnerscircledetailingproducts.com/CandyPress/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1

It is on the expensive side, but it`s just so easy to use it`s worth it. I have a rotary and am scared to death of it. My first experience sucked, but I blame that on wrong pad choice. That`s another story.

JasonD
06-10-2005, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by newagain

No disrespect, But take it to a professional detailer in your area and asked for some professional advise, An PC will NOT remove SEVERE swirls.

Here`s a couple pics borrowed from another thread (http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55237). All done by PC. I don`t think you can get anymore severe than this, and on black no less.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/theeloved1/DSCN1151.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/theeloved1/DSCN1145.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/theeloved1/DSCN1127.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/theeloved1/DSCN1168.jpg

imported_UnsanePyro
06-10-2005, 06:16 PM
Newagain: No disrespect taken ata ll, but that is what I am trying to avoid. I would rather learn to do the work myself because I enjoy it and find it pretty relaxing, although sometimes aggrivating in its own right. I have seen much worse swirling removed by PC but I just don`t have enough time behind the PC and the products I have to make the most of them.

Tdek: I`ll have to try and spend a bit mroe time at 6 and see if I get a better feel for it. I sort of avoid it now, which is why I am uncomfortable with it.

JD: I have used the 1Z polishes a bit before, and found them alright to use, but a bit hard to remove, but it may be that they were not worked for long enough, I`m not really sure. Maybe I will have to give them another try.

The cylco seems pretty intense, I don`t think I am ready to spend the money on one though, maybe in the furutre I will go with a rotary or cylco, probably rotary though.