PDA

View Full Version : car covers bad?

III
06-10-2005, 01:59 PM
If someone has a link from a former thread about this topic, feel free to share. I didn`t come across anything. My question is this:

Do car covers do more harm than good? Meaning do they scratch when you put them on and when you remove them if you drag them over the paint?

Bill D
06-10-2005, 02:02 PM
Not with me they ( Weathershield over a Noah) don`t but whenever I use them I engage myself in a QDing/dusting routine before they go on. If conditions simply don`t permit this, it`s probably best to the clean up afterwards instead of risking it.

imported_memnuts
06-10-2005, 02:56 PM
The only marr-free usage of a car cover is indoor usage. The vehicle maybe clean upon placing the cover but any air currents (breeze) will deposit some debris between cover and finish. With subsequent movement of the cover, no matter how soft the cover`s lining is, the hard partiulates will inflict their damage. A good example is pollen :shocked between cover and finish. This stuff penetrates (gets into and around) anything. :( JMHO and experiences

Bill D
06-10-2005, 02:57 PM
I never had that happen but I`m also using two. :nixweiss

imported_memnuts
06-10-2005, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Bill D

I never had that happen but I`m also using two. :nixweiss

or maybe this is why your avatar is "Never far away from a bottle of polish"

Just kidding.

:D

lbls1
06-10-2005, 03:04 PM
Never had marring issues indoor or outdoor. Modern covers should not marr at all (with the proper use of course).

I`ve used two covers at a time (against popular belief)....still no problems and excellent protection.

Bill D
06-10-2005, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

or maybe this is why your avatar is "Never far away from a bottle of polish"

Just kidding.

:D

;) I`m just hopelessly addicted. The sight of them on the shelf alone is a thrill ;) jk

imported_guapsnaman
06-10-2005, 04:16 PM
Hey guys,

I have a garage for my Maxima but it always seems to get dusty. I was thinking about buying a king size satin sheet to place on stop to prevent all the dusting. What do you guys think about this. I don`t want to deal with putting on or taking off covers just to prevent dust.

Any input would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Bill D
06-10-2005, 04:17 PM
It`s not that much different than putting on a properly fitted cover. The cover won`t flap around as much a free flowing bed sheet.

imported_Burlyq
06-10-2005, 04:25 PM
It`s this simple, if you get a contaminant in between car and car cover, and there is wind, you can end up with damage. I think Bill and matt are correct, the key is to have a dusting routine to keep the dust out. I will never forget my client who had a sweet firebird, only 7500 miles on it, anyhow the car was under the cover so long the battery was dead, and there was dust everywhere, and the freaking car was Marr central. Swirls, scratches etc, and the lady was absolutely shocked, how could have this happened she said? Anyhow, she had the "expensive" kind that breaths, and if it breaths dust can get in there if you don`t maintain it. I would say get a cover but don`t think that means you can leave it there w/o maintenance. Sun and other things that hit your car w/o a cover can be worse IMO.

Bill D
06-10-2005, 04:29 PM
I suppose this (http://www.calcarcover.com/product.aspx?id=970&cid=6) could always be an option.

imported_memnuts
06-10-2005, 05:08 PM

;) I`m just hopelessly addicted. The sight of them on the shelf alone is a thrill ;) jk

Me too, Bill. :xyxthumbs :D

I do use sheets to cover adjacent areas when I polish indoors to avoid dust from getting into too many crevises. The same precautions must still be used. The surface MUST be free of swirl producing particles.

Lou K
06-16-2005, 09:26 AM

I suppose this (http://www.calcarcover.com/product.aspx?id=970&cid=6) could always be an option.

:D I use these on my show cars/trailer qweens and they are very effective. However if you plan on using a car frequently, they are a true pain in the A**. I still put a cover on before putting the cars in their cocoons since the material that covers the car is a plastic that truly will scratch the finish.

Lou K