PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from the Great White North

Pages : [1] 2

zimmerDN
06-10-2005, 12:44 PM
Hello, I`ve following this forum for the past few months. I am ready to wax my car for the first time this week I think. I still have lots of questions.

I have a darker blue car. The problem is, when the paint is clean and dust free it`s a nice color. However when it gets dirty it turns purple. So I need a wax that gives the wet look with lots of depth. I don`t need the shine as much.

Since I am from canada it`s hard to find over the counter products like the ones mentioned here. So I think I`ve choosen to use Turtle Wax Platnum Ultra since it`s easy to find. Is this enough? Or should i use something else for protection (like sealant, I am not sure) and use the TWUP to top it off. I am new at this so I am not sure what the proper way do it is.

I already have the clay bar kit from mothers. Inside there`s a little bottle of lubricant and cleaner wax. What else do I need to prep the car? The car is one year old and haven`t been waxed before.

How do I strip off the old wax? Can I just get any applicator pads from stores like Canadian Tire or Parts Source and use microfiber towels to polish?

Ben Kenobi
06-10-2005, 01:29 PM
Welcome to Autopia from a fellow GWNer! I would recommend that you use something like Klasse AIO or Poorboy`s SSR`s to clean the paint and remove and swirls and scratches.

Once the paint is clean then go for a sealant like Klasse SG which will keep that wet look and give you protection. If you want to use the TW after then put it on as a LSP topper. Do some reading on here and you`ll find a wealth of information. There are some excellent online shops here and in the U.S. that have great products. If I can be of any further feel free to PM me. Where are you located by the way?

Good luck!

Paul

2wheelsx2
06-10-2005, 01:40 PM
You can use any sort of paint cleanser to clean off the old wax. Mother`s Pre-Wax cleaner (and the Meguiar`s equivalent is readily available at CDN Tire. If you have access to Lordco (in BC) or NAPA stores, you can get most of the professional series (beige bottles Meguiar`s stuff there. If you`re polishing anyway, you might as well apply a swirl remover like #9 or SFP (can`t remember #) to the paint, which will allow you to have a nice prepped surface to wax on. I would then you a glaze type product like #3 or #7, or Mother`s S&G and then #26, #16, or maybe the EO Nano Wax on top of the glaze. That will give you a nice dark, wet look that you`re after.

Do some searches and reach as much as you can on this site, you`ll get all the info you need.

BTW, welcome! :ca

trueblueblood
06-10-2005, 02:08 PM
I have`t used it but from alot of pics on dark blue NXT paste wax looks sweet for an OTC. I might have to get around to it on my blue.

EdLancer
06-10-2005, 11:17 PM
You can find Meguair`s Scratch X and Crystal Cleaner and NXT Wax at Cdn Tire. Your out of luck when it come to equipment, they do sell the PC 7424 by special order for $248cdn.

bboy850
06-10-2005, 11:56 PM
try Lastingshine.ca or eshine.ca for over the counter products.

SilverBelle04
06-11-2005, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by bboy850

try Lastingshine.ca or eshine.ca for over the counter products.

or www.carcaresmart.com.

I`ve used both carcaresmart and eshine and both we`re great to deal with.

You can get Meg`s Pro line products at PartsSource stores

Bob

zimmerDN
06-11-2005, 12:55 AM
I think my questions right now are, if I order from eshine.ca what should I order to get me started. I am doing all this by hand.

Since I have a dark blue car that`s one year old with relatively good paint. I want to use Meguiar`s NTX Tech Wax. But is that enough to give me the extra wet and deep look. Remember my paint looks like poop when it`s not dark looking enough.

Also what should I get to prep the paint? What about applying the wax and buffing it off? Can I use MF for both?

Sadly, my car already has 4 dings, 2 on each side. It makes me want to scream. And what`s worse its I tried to clay bar it because I didn`t know better and it left a white spot (almost like the paint has faded). How can I fix it? Is necessary to fix it immediately or can this wait?

All this is done by hand.

Mochamanz1
06-11-2005, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by zimmerDN

I think my questions right now are, if I order from eshine.ca what should I order to get me started. I am doing all this by hand.

Since I have a dark blue car that`s one year old with relatively good paint. I want to use Meguiar`s NTX Tech Wax. But is that enough to give me the extra wet and deep look. Remember my paint looks like poop when it`s not dark looking enough.

Also what should I get to prep the paint? What about applying the wax and buffing it off? Can I use MF for both?

Sadly, my car already has 4 dings, 2 on each side. It makes me want to scream. And what`s worse its I tried to clay bar it because I didn`t know better and it left a white spot (almost like the paint has faded). How can I fix it? Is necessary to fix it immediately or can this wait?

First of all, :welcome

Try removing everything from the paint. It sounds like you need to prep the paint using a cleaning polish, or better, something like Menzerna IP followed by FPll. Your description of your paint sounds like it has either dried, dead product on it, encapsulated contamination, or some kind of chemical damage. The color change you described is odd. Maybe you can post a close up picture of this.:nixweiss

SilverBelle04
06-11-2005, 06:16 AM
Zimmer - if you`re thinking of going the NXT route by hand.... i would get some Meguiar`s #9 at Canadian Tire to prep your paint (assuming you`re doing all of this by hand and according to you the paint is in good shape) and then follow up with a couple of coats of NXT. This should make your dark blue would look great.

If you want something less over the counter buy the Klasse Twins from eshnie and i`m pretty sure you`d be happy with that too. Are you near Toronto ? ... i think that you can pick up from eshine in Port Colbourne.

Good luck with it.

Bob

Originally posted by zimmerDN

zimmerDN
06-11-2005, 10:59 PM
Yes I am doing all this by hand. What I have still yet to learn is the different products the Meguair`s Pro line offers. What are all the numbers for? #9 #27 #16???

So if I do use #9 to prep the paint, does that mean I can use the regular Meguiar`s Deep Crystal to wash my car? Do I use the #9 like a wax, just apply it in circles with the applicator and buff off with my MF towel???

Can I use Turtle Wax Platnum Ultra Liquid Wax with NXT to increase the effectiveness (depth and gloss, the wet look). Or is this combination a waste?

I have Indigo Blue Mazda3. The problem with this color is it tends to turn purple once is dirty. It`s natural so I just have to keep it clean and do something to give it a deep wet dark look.

stevet
06-11-2005, 11:19 PM
ZimmerDN do your self a favor and order online from a US vendor. You will get financially raped buying Megs products in Canada. NXT Paste $37.00 CDN, bend over. Even with the exchange rate and shipping you are much better off buying online from a US vendor. Megs marks up some products by 250% here in Canada. If you live near the border you can always take a trip and pick some things up. If you insist on buying in Canada I would go with Mothers and 3M.

zimmerDN
06-12-2005, 12:13 AM
Can you think of a good US vendor that will ship Fedex? Or a vendor that will work with it`s customers?

I was looking at the prices at eshine and it seems alright however buying in the states is always much much cheaper.

SilverBelle04
06-12-2005, 06:22 AM
Like stevet mentioned...taking a drive accross the border would be a good option. I`ve bought products from suppliers in the US and had them shipped up...when all was said and done it didn`t make much difference than CDN pricing when you include shipping, USD exchange rates, customs, brokers fees.....aaaaaaaaaaaghhh! :shocked

I bought some stuff just accorss the NY border yesterday and the prices were siginficnalty different...i didn`t buy any but to give you an idea...NXT liquid was about $14 USD compared to $29.95 at CTC in Canada (at least that `s what it was last time i looked).

With everything considered - you can save a few bucks, but everything is relative....the 4 or 5 hours that it cost you in time and travel has a cost attched to it too. I do this about twice a summer but i make a day out of it and go for a drive and do some photography..

One more thing to consider is if you live in the general Toronto area, i`m pretty sure eshine will let you pick up and avoid shipping charges all together. Same goes for carcaresmart if you live in the Vancouver area.

Bob :ca

stevet
06-12-2005, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by SilverBelle04

Like stevet mentioned...taking a drive accross the border would be a good option. I`ve bought products from suppliers in the US and had them shipped up...when all was said and done it didn`t make much difference than CDN pricing when you include shipping, USD exchange rates, customs, brokers fees.....aaaaaaaaaaaghhh! :shocked

Bob :ca

You aren`t ordering right if you have this problem. I never pay Customs or broker fees.

Here is how it is done properly.

1) Never use UPS ever. The brokerage fees thy charge to clear your order through Customs is a joke. Use USPS. Tell the vendor thats how you want it shipped or take your business else where. USPS most times charges nothing and if it`s a big order they charge a small handling fee of about $5.00.

2)There is no Duties on USA made products. This is due to a little thing called Nafta. Non USA made products can get charged duties but I have never had this happen in the 10 + orders I have placed in the last two years. It has to do with how it`s packed. All Customs sees on the label is car care products from a US vendor. They don`t rip open the package and examine the labels on the products to see what country they wee manufactured in. I have never paid a single cent of duties.

3) You may end up paying GST and PST but you would any way if you purchased in Canada. But there are ways around that too. Ask the vendor to put a lower price on the label or better yet mark it as a gift or a warranty replacement. There is no tax on warranty replacements and the tax if any on gifts is very low especially if the price on the label is low. And don`t forget because you are not in the state that is selling to you there is no US sales tax on your order either. On most of my orders I avoid all US and Canadian taxes.

I don`t know how you have been ordering but if you are not coming out farther ahead than buying Canada you are doing something wrong. I just received my latest order from a certain Canadian friendly Honolulu based vendor and I did not pay a cent in duties, taxes, or brokerage fees. All I paid was my cost of the order and $12.00 USD shipping by USPS.

If you are not coming out further ahead purchasing Megs from an online US based vendor than you are really doing something wrong. Megs prices are such a rip off in Canada it`s kinda hard not to to better else where.