PDA

View Full Version : Shoe Polish Ever Hear of This?

Pages : [1] 2

bonfire
06-10-2005, 11:51 AM
I was at the local auto parts store and asked the guy what product works best to restore the black plastic steps on my 97GMC step side. (The rear bumper has faded really bad reguardless what I have used. Everything holds the color for a few weeks then it fades again). Anyway he suggested putting on a coat of black shoe polish. Anyone ever heard of this and does it work?

I have tried mothers, turtle, armor, Eagle One and others I can`t rember the name of.

rollman
06-10-2005, 12:36 PM
It might work but they make products just for this , AI makes a product called ETR 2 trim restoring kit . It contains a cleaner , dye , toner and UV protector . The dye is black and the toner is white to give you shades of gray and the UV protector does just that , protects the surface . Results are a factory looking job that will last for years if you take care of it

http://www.autoint.com/autostore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=53

There`s also some other companies that make these type of trim repair kits and they all run about the same in price , some are more. Google the subject and you`ll come up with them .

The only ones the work for the long term (1-3 years) are these kits that dye the parts . Good luck

:xyxthumbs

imported_themightytimmah
06-10-2005, 12:44 PM
Shoe polish works.....very temporarily. You have two choices - dye it yourself, or have it professionally dyed. If you live in Portland, Maine, drop me a PM and I`d be happy to help you out. If you live in Portland, Oregon, look for a pro who offers the service.

WaXwOrKs
06-10-2005, 12:47 PM
At 95 bucks, riiiiggght. You know I often feel that these companies really try and take advantage of our enthusiasm. I`ll stick with shoe polish and care for it with mothers or something, my customers will be just as happy.

rollman
06-10-2005, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by WaXwOrKs

At 95 bucks, riiiiggght. You know I often feel that these companies really try and take advantage of our enthusiasm. I`ll stick with shoe polish and care for it with mothers or something, my customers will be just as happy.

They aren`t taking advantage of anyone, these products are geared towards professional detailers that will make money restoring trim with the kit . This is a long term fix to constant problem . The kit should treat 40-80 vehicles but that depends on how much trim you need to do. However if your going to pay a pro to do this , your better off buying a kit ,using it and reselling whats left .

Lowejackson
06-10-2005, 01:28 PM
The shoe polish will not last very long and you run the risk of it transferring onto clothing or other shoes

rollman
06-10-2005, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Lowejackson

The shoe polish will not last very long and you run the risk of it transferring onto clothing or other shoes

:rofl Yeah I`m sure the customers would love that.

imported_steveo3002
06-10-2005, 02:20 PM
i am into older golf gti`s, these have alot of black plastic we all use kiwi black shoe dye on them

it will take 2 coats on faded trim, and it does rub off a little until after the first wash...its the best solution for us golf owners many people use it and it lasts months

BE SURE TO GET SHOE"DYE"OR "SCUFF COVER" NOT POLISH SOMETIMES

imported_Bence
06-10-2005, 05:10 PM
Klasse VLRP would be a good choice. It can bring things back from the dead.

...or maybe Future Floor Polish.

Just check this (http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22794&highlight=future+floor) .

Mochamanz1
06-10-2005, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by bonfire

I was at the local auto parts store and asked the guy what product works best to restore the black plastic steps on my 97GMC step side. (The rear bumper has faded really bad reguardless what I have used. Everything holds the color for a few weeks then it fades again). Anyway he suggested putting on a coat of black shoe polish. Anyone ever heard of this and does it work?

I have tried mothers, turtle, armor, Eagle One and others I can`t rember the name of.

You know you have the Autopian bug when:

You are willing to try unusual products....

Nice try !

Do a search on trim/bumper restoration, it might help sove your problem... :xyxthumbs

ghost_rider_x
06-10-2005, 07:56 PM
use shoe DYE not polish. i`ve been using kiwi shoe dye (black) once a year for my bumpers, trim, etc and its works great. no fading after months of abuse.

C. Charles Hahn
06-10-2005, 08:11 PM
Dye is best, but I have used the shoe-polish trick on cars where the owner is selling it and just needs it to look good for long enough that a buyer can go over the car and not notice that problem. I would`ve charged him much more to do the actual dye process.

Just depends what job you`re needing to do.

WaXwOrKs
08-08-2005, 07:58 AM
I might have to do this dye thing, I did a customers 93 Range Rover over the weekend his grill has turned dang near completely grey over the years and will not turn black no matter what I throw at it (very common with Range R) I told him to bring it back later this week so that I can see what else I can do, sooo we`ll see what happens he`s very desparate to have this corrected and willing for me to try anything at this point.

WaXwOrKs
08-08-2005, 07:58 AM
I might have to do this dye thing, I did a customers 93 Range Rover over the weekend his grill has turned dang near completely grey over the years and will not turn black no matter what I throw at it (very common with Range R) I told him to bring it back later this week so that I can see what else I can do, sooo we`ll see what happens he`s very desparate to have this corrected and willing for me to try anything at this point.

az57chevy
08-08-2005, 09:33 PM
Hvae you tried Back to Black? It worked great for me on a Dodge caravan and it`s black trim