PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning off the Souveran?

imported_animes2k
06-10-2005, 11:12 AM
I detailed a car for a friend of a friend (the red CLK convertible, posted in click and brag) and I`m guessing that the Souveran has pretty much worn off... Now, I don`t think I`ll be treating his car regularly, so this time around, when it gets a wash, I wanted to throw something a TAD longer-lasting on it. I was thinking of just putting either some #16 or NXT paste on.

Do I need to remove the Souveran (which is on top of whatever #80 left behind under it) or should I just go ahead and wash it and throw on some NXT?

I realize that if I go for the 16, it should probably be fine (carn over carn), but since the NXT is a sealant...

Thanks for any input.

zainoshine
06-10-2005, 11:39 AM
The NXT has light cleaning abilities...perhaps it will indeed remove any existing wax, especially via PC.

Mochamanz1
06-11-2005, 01:05 AM
You probably have to give the NXT a hand on the wax removal by doing a detergent wash. There are shampoos and detergents available that will remove wax. I wont mention any of them here to keep the topic focused, but the NXT will last longer if you remove the wax before applying the NXT, IMHO. Do a search on Removing waxes.:xyxthumbs

imported_memnuts
06-11-2005, 02:43 AM
It is always a good time to perform a finish cleansing prior to applying a new LSP. A good strong (double directed amount) car wash solution followed by a IPA wipedown and than a paint cleanser will clean your finish of any Souveran and most any other LSP. Also a great time to clay.

Prep well and give NXT a perfect canvas to work with.

It is only fair so you do not end up with a post like this.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&goto=newpost&threadid=57518 :wavey

imported_animes2k
06-11-2005, 07:01 AM
The car was properly prepped about 2 weeks ago (wow, only that long ago!? seems like much longer) so I might skip the new LSP this time around and just do a gentle wash:

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56918

If he has me back every two weeks, I might just keep up with a Souveran or P21S regimen until winter comes around, then get to stripping and applying a sealant. Thanks so much for all the input.

imported_animes2k
06-11-2005, 08:36 PM
I decided to try something with my own car today... a complete strip, start from scratch... The ISO 50/50 mix worked well to take the wax off, and the small area i`d buffed with #83 was squeaky clean, but the rest of the car, even with the ISO, did not squeak. I suspect the multiple layers of Zaino had something to do with it...

I donned my respirator, grabbed a clean cloth and the 3M Adhesive Remover and went to town. Now THAT is clean. I followed up with VM and EXP and it`s resting in the garage. I`ll see how it looks in the sun tomorrow.

My only problem is that the Zaino was obviously doing something beneficial for the finish, as the stripping made slight swirls and etching visible (something I didn`t notice except under 1000W of halogen, after the EXP came off). I`m certain these were there before and not as a result of my methods of application/removal because the areas I buffed with DACP showed no such problems...

Guess I can live with this for now, but I will go at it with the PC at some point this summer...

So, yeah - the ISO50 mix should work fine for stripping the Souveran :)

Thanks.

benpocock
06-12-2005, 06:19 AM
Personally I`d throw #16 over the top of the Souveran - it has decent durability and won`t have any bonding issues unlike if you were to use NXT.

Ben

Accumulator
06-12-2005, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by BenP

Personally I`d throw #16 over the top of the Souveran..

I dunno, I like to put the most durable product next to the paint and the best looking one on top. Then I just refresh the topper as needed.

Bill D
06-12-2005, 10:49 AM
I agree. For dark colors at least, I find Souveran to be the ultimate last step product.