PDA

View Full Version : Polishing for new paint?

du3ce
06-10-2005, 09:44 AM
Is it ok if i use polish on new paint?

Accumulator
06-10-2005, 09:59 AM
Yeah, just a) use a polish that doesn`t contain wax/sealer and b) remember that fresh paint is softer than normal while it`s curing.

trueblueblood
06-10-2005, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

Yeah, just a) use a polish that doesn`t contain wax/sealer and b) remember that fresh paint is softer than normal while it`s curing.

New paint as in new car or new paint as in repainted?

New car yes no problem, repaint no unless its very mild like Accumulator said the paint is soft.

Accumulator
06-10-2005, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by true blue blood

New car yes no problem, repaint no unless its very mild like Accumulator said the paint is soft.

Remember that many repaints get wetsaded/compounded/polished by the paint shop before the customer ever sees them, so you`re generally OK working them.

I`ve only had trouble once (out of dozens of times) and that one (RM brand basecoat/clear, two weeks old) just needed a finer polish than #80.

trueblueblood
06-10-2005, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

Remember that many repaints get wetsaded/compounded/polished by the paint shop before the customer ever sees them, so you`re generally OK working them.

I`ve only had trouble once (out of dozens of times) and that one (RM brand basecoat/clear, two weeks old) just needed a finer polish than #80.

Was just erring on the side of safety:)

Accumulator
06-10-2005, 04:13 PM

Was just erring on the side of safety:)

I sure won`t argue with that :D

Mochamanz1
06-11-2005, 02:28 AM
New factrory paint? AIO is about it for me...!:xyxthumbs

du3ce
06-11-2005, 07:53 AM

New car yes no problem, repaint no unless its very mild like Accumulator said the paint is soft. repainted car

Accumulator
06-11-2005, 08:56 AM
OK, now that we know it`s a repaint, what do you want to accomplish?

General "stuff to use while it`s curing"- Meg`s #5/#3/#81/#7 (in my order of preference), 3M IHG, Mother`s glaze.

Lightly abrasive polishes to use while it`s curing if you need to remove marring- Meg`s #80, Griot`s #3, Menzerna FP, or 3M PI-III RC/MG if you need to *really* correct something.

I`m sure there are many others, but those are what I`ve used on fresh paint.