PDA

View Full Version : Sealant durability list/chart

Pages : [1] 2 3

Brazo
06-10-2005, 05:46 AM
Ok I tried a search which was useful but not complete

Has anyone ever produced a chart or list which `ranks` sealants in order of durability?

I am well aware correct prep etc can affect this as can environmental conditions/ washing etc but from my reading of this forum the general concensus for example is that Klasse SG is more durable than say 4 star UPP or NXT?

I am interested in the durability of FMJ, SG, UPP, NXT, 1z Glanz and Zaino

Can anybody rank these or offer they`re expreinces?

TIA:bounce

EBPcivicsi
06-10-2005, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by Brazo

Ok I tried a search which was useful but not complete

Has anyone ever produced a chart or list which `ranks` sealants in order of durability?

I am well aware correct prep etc can affect this as can environmental conditions/ washing etc but from my reading of this forum the general concensus for example is that Klasse SG is more durable than say 4 star UPP or NXT?

I am interested in the durability of FMJ, SG, UPP, NXT, 1z Glanz and Zaino

Can anybody rank these or offer they`re expreinces?

TIA:bounce

This would be my chart in Memphis:

SG

Zaino

FMJ

NXT

1Z glanz(never used)

Brazo
06-10-2005, 05:53 AM
I`m surprised FMJ is lower than UPP (not used either so can`t comment!) Just surprised from their marketing viewpoint I suppose!

jmsc
06-10-2005, 06:00 AM
Consensus would say:

Zaino

SG

1Z Glanz

FMJ

NXT

klnyc
06-10-2005, 06:17 AM
Man, this just get more confusion. You need to try them all :D

SG

Zaino

WG

EX-P

NXT

Thats all the sealant I got sofar. OOh Meg #21 coming in too :up

EBPcivicsi
06-10-2005, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by Brazo

I`m surprised FMJ is lower than UPP (not used either so can`t comment!) Just surprised from their marketing viewpoint I suppose!

Not for *me* in *Memphis*.......you can see the variables/problems in compiling such a list. :nixweiss

wannafbody
06-10-2005, 06:30 AM
some claim that collinite 845 is up there with Zaino for durability-some also claim that NXT has outlasted Zaino-a definitive list is going to be impossible to get because of environmental factors. that`s one reason I don`t put much faith in durability tests as they don`t neccessarily mimic real world conditions.

Brazo
06-10-2005, 06:36 AM
Yeah I know there is lots of ifs and buts and wasn`t expecting a definitive answer but more so what people think from their own experiences.

Personally i was hoping FMJ would be at the top as have just bought a bottle but may just stick with the SG as durability is `my` key concern.

Bill D
06-10-2005, 06:37 AM
Just add more LSP when conditions permit/spirit moves you.

jfelbab
06-10-2005, 06:49 AM
What criteria are you using in determining the durability of the products? Appearance falls off? Beading disappears? Slickness wanes?

topnotchtouch
06-10-2005, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by jmsc

Consensus would say:

Zaino

SG

1Z Glanz

FMJ

NXT

Consensus, what is that and have we ever seen one here :D

Durability of several products in that list can vary based on how they are maintained. For example I use Sonus Car Wash on my GT with SG and it contains a small amount of the same polishes that are in SG, same goes for the Sonus Acrylic Glanz and with each use a small amount of protection gets added to the finish. The same can be said for Zaino with Z6 and Z8.

EBPcivicsi
06-10-2005, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by jfelbab

What criteria are you using in determining the durability of the products? Appearance falls off? Beading disappears? Slickness wanes?

You are correct, we should have stated our criteria. I base mine on a combination of factors.

When the water post wash does not sheet away with the chase technique and stays in pools, when slickness pretty much completely goes away, and the paint just loses that "pop." That is when I consider a product to have "pooped out." :D

On my own cars, I never go longer than 4-6 weeks, but I do see other cars that I use to judge durability.

wannafbody
06-10-2005, 07:03 AM
exactly-different people will determine durability differently. some may go by slickness-well according to that UPP loses slickness after a couple washes-so to them it has low durability. if you look at beading then zaino and SG come out on top. If you look at gloss many products keep their gloss after the slickness has died. In my case I applied 845 to my hood and wheels-alcohol and wheel cleaner doesn`t strip it. That tells me its protection level is high. Conversly I`ve read that alcohol will strip many sealants. If alcohol can strip a sealant how much protection does it offer from airborn polution and acid rain? again IMO regardlessof what product you use using it more often *should* provide more protection. thats why IMO the newer spray waxes are so great. wash and spray a layer of protection.

AudiOn19s
06-10-2005, 08:53 AM
Things may get muddy in the middle but the SG and Zaino will always be at the top of the list...if durability is what you`re after those would be the two that I`d suggest looking into.

imported_memnuts
06-10-2005, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by wannafbody

In my case I applied 845 to my hood and wheels-alcohol and wheel cleaner doesn`t strip it. That tells me its protection level is high. Conversly I`ve read that alcohol will strip many sealants.

IPA will strip all vehicle protectants. May not completely do so on the first pass but IPA will dissolve waxes (including 845), sealants (Zaino, Klasse, WG, UPP, etc) and Joe`s miracle 40 year protectant, etc.