PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Clay Question

YellarStang99
12-25-2004, 07:55 AM
I went down to the Bennett Auto the other day to get some stuff and I noticed the Mother`s brand claying kit. So since I`ve been wanting to try this "claying" process on my car I bought one. I was very surprised though at the small size of the actual bar. How many cars can you do with just this one small bar? Thx - (I was just wondering)

wifehatescar
12-25-2004, 10:50 AM
I went down to the Bennett Auto the other day to get some stuff and I noticed the Mother`s brand claying kit. So since I`ve been wanting to try this "claying" process on my car I bought one. I was very surprised though at the small size of the actual bar. How many cars can you do with just this one small bar? Thx - (I was just wondering)

It all depends on how messed up the car is....I get about 3-5 cars done per bar, on average.

ndnguy
12-25-2004, 11:09 AM
Curious, but how much did that kit set you back? And how much would you charge a customer to have their car clayed? Would you enclude that in any waxing job or a full detail only?

rollman
12-25-2004, 11:15 AM
Curious, but how much did that kit set you back? And how much would you charge a customer to have their car clayed? Would you enclude that in any waxing job or a full detail only?

I think the kit runs around $14.95 . Some detailers I`ve noticed charge around $25 Extra for claying or most detailers include it in a full detail.

Beemerboy
12-25-2004, 02:07 PM
I clay all cars on my details it just helpes to set the paint up for a better finish, and that`s what we are delivering back so why cut coners.

On the clay that you have you should be able to a 5 cars again depending on who bad they are. Keep the clay in a zip lock bag with a spray of QD on it will keep in from drying out

YellarStang99
12-25-2004, 09:33 PM
Yea, I clay`d the stang today. Turned out great! This clay really works good. Heh, my hands still smell like that "minty" Mother`s spray lube. Couldn`t take any pics caus my dig. cam. took a dump about 3 days ago when i dropped it. :( It was cloudly today anyway. But it does work great, highly recommend claying for anyone!!

bigron62
12-26-2004, 12:28 AM
I charge extra for using clay on a car ... $40.00 $50.00 for trucks .. its an exellent upsell ,... i use alot of clay lube and clay is not cheap either .. it is also very labor intensive so my customers always want it done .. im a true believer in clay

ntwrkguy1
12-26-2004, 05:39 AM
I also clay each client`s car, but I do things a bit differently. For starters, I cut the clay into sections (2 or 3, depending on which clay bar I use). It still leaves you with a usuable size, and you get a bigger bang for the buck.

Also, I use the `clay after washing` method. I wash the car first, then, while I still have plenty of suds left, I take the wash mitt and wet the area I`m claying. It works like a charm, and I don`t need to purchase clay lube (which is nothing more than quick detail spray anyway).

If you`re near an AutoZone in FL, check out the $9.99 deal they have on Clay Magic. Definitely a great product at a great price.

ndnguy
12-26-2004, 01:51 PM
I also clay each client`s car, but I do things a bit differently. For starters, I cut the clay into sections (2 or 3, depending on which clay bar I use). It still leaves you with a usuable size, and you get a bigger bang for the buck.

Also, I use the `clay after washing` method. I wash the car first, then, while I still have plenty of suds left, I take the wash mitt and wet the area I`m claying. It works like a charm, and I don`t need to purchase clay lube (which is nothing more than quick detail spray anyway).

If you`re near an AutoZone in FL, check out the $9.99 deal they have on Clay Magic. Definitely a great product at a great price.

I`ll have to check the Autozone here in LA. Thanks guys for the info, I really am starting to love DC more than any other forum I frequent.

Also how do you guys upsell using clay? I mean to get a client to agree to spend an additional 40-50 bucks isn`t the easiest thing to do. I`m just wondering what you guys do to upsell claying.

Hawaiianelement
12-27-2004, 05:00 AM
I`ll have to check the Autozone here in LA. Thanks guys for the info, I really am starting to love DC more than any other forum I frequent.

Also how do you guys upsell using clay? I mean to get a client to agree to spend an additional 40-50 bucks isn`t the easiest thing to do. I`m just wondering what you guys do to upsell claying.

Well to upsell I get some background info about their waxing habits . Most of the time I get the ones that haven`t waxed in a year or the dealer told them they don`t need wax on the newer cars..huh???
Yes I`ve heard alot of strange things but I`m glad they called . I take the time to educate cust. about what kind of results they `ll get from clay and then let them know that since they don`t like to wax alot I suggest sealant . Thats a $50 upsell according to my prices.

I tell them that a wash -n - wax is a reg maint. thing not a first step . You deffinately want to clean the paint and make it smooth again , THEN protect it with wax/sealant..

I ussually end up showing them the clay and explaining in further detail.