PDA

View Full Version : Leatherique Question

Yaemish
06-09-2005, 05:26 PM
I plan on using Leatherique on my car soon and was wondering what the process was. Do you need to use their cleaner following the oil rejuvinator?

I was also wondering if anyone has used the rest of their product line to fill cracks in the leather?

Bill D
06-09-2005, 05:40 PM
Yes, for the complete process you must use both products, the oil followed by the cleaner preferably on a very hot day.

Steve530
06-09-2005, 06:10 PM
Clean the seats really well - brush and vacuum. Then apply about 4 oz of RO to each seat. I prefer to apply it with my hands, but some people use a brush. Also some people spray the RO on the seats, but I don`t like to spray RO because I don`t want to get RO on anything but leather.

After you get the leather covered with RO, just let it sit and absorb. If it`s sunny, park the car in the sun with the windows up so that the interior gets hot. The heat helps the RO soak in. Let the RO stay on the leather all day, or longer if you have time.

After the RO has absorbed or you just can`t wait any longer, get out the Pristine Clean (PC). I suggest a spray bottle for this. Just wet it down good with PC and wipe it off with a good MF or cotton towel. The seats will be a little damp, but will dry quickly.

imported_guapsnaman
06-09-2005, 06:22 PM
Here`s a thread with a link to a pretty good tutorial:

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23570&highlight=Leatherique

Hope this helps.

I`ve used it and find it pretty darn good. I use the same method as the people above. I use gloves when applying it and massage it into the leather with my hands.

AMDin93103
06-09-2005, 10:39 PM
I have a client with an `87 Carrera whose (very dry) seats have been dyed. Will the Leatherique process have any adverse effects on the dying procedure? I might contact the manu for this.

Yaemish
06-12-2005, 02:00 PM
If I used the Oil, I couldn`t use the 1-6 Woolite and water mix following application?

Bill D
06-12-2005, 02:42 PM
I have a feeling the mfr is going to say the process will be fine. That is, unless the tanning/dyeing of the seats has some how been compromised.

I`m not sure but I don`t see the Woolite solution being specialized/powerful as Pristine Clean especially if we are talking a deep cleaning/full leather make over. The Woolite solution is good for touch ups/maintenance.

Yaemish
06-12-2005, 03:11 PM
What kind of conditioner works well between Rejuvinator Oil applications?

Bill D
06-12-2005, 05:12 PM
On occasion if necessary, the typical leather conditioners we`re familiar with here are OK.

As for Zaino, please start a new thread to address those questions.

Yaemish
06-12-2005, 05:20 PM
Sorry, I was posting two threads at once and wasn`t paying attention to what one I was in.

Alfisti
06-12-2005, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Yaemish

What kind of conditioner works well between Rejuvinator Oil applications?

The Rejuvinator Oil is the conditioner...it restores and conditions.

Every six months spray Pristine Clean on the seats and wipe after a couple of minutes. Pristine clean dissolves surface dirt and has the same conditioning oils as Rejuvinator Oil. In this context it acts as cleaner and conditioner.

Yaemish, what sort of leather are you planning to use it on? RO is only for un-finished (non-coated) leather, while PC can be used on any leather or vinyl.

If your leather is un-finished, I would stay away from many of the common conditioners as they contain silicone which can artificially seal the leather preventing the Leatherique from working properly. They are good for finished leather but not for un-finished.

Go here: www.leatherique.com.au

Bill D
06-12-2005, 08:09 PM
I`ve used both on my 16 year old car with improvement. I want to give it another shot soon. The seats are coated although the coating is "an earlier type", not exactly as leather interiors are coated today. Only the steering wheel is not coated.

I`d say both ought to work on modern coated seats, I think Deanski reported doing so last year. If they didn`t, they would probably have to introduce a RO for modern coated leather.

Alfisti
06-12-2005, 09:06 PM
Bill, I`d say that because of the age of your vehicle, the coating has naturally developed micro-fissures after time and use (a good thing), which will allow RO to penetrate and soften the leather.

Since RO works by absorbtion and displacement, it would be a challenge for them to develop something that can penetrate the urethane coatings. I can see it working on perforated seats though, regardless of coating.