PDA

View Full Version : Paint Help

bonfire
06-09-2005, 03:31 PM
Hey everyone!! I am new to the forums and was looking for some help with my 97GMC truck and her paint. I live in a area where you have to park under trees which vary in types. I washed my truck and went to put a coat of wax on her and noticed after I was done waxing the surface was still bumpy and not smooth. I looked really close and some areas have tiny tiny black dots all this did not come out even after putting some elbow into it.

My plan is going to be wash the truck by hand and then use the clay bar I have been reading about and then apply a coat of wax. Does this sound like I am on the right track? Any hints, suggestions welcome.

Great forums by the way!!

imported_themightytimmah
06-09-2005, 03:59 PM
Before you wash it, douse it in Stoner`s Tarminator. That`ll make a huge difference in ease of claying. Dont get the bright idea of claying and tarminating at the same time though, when I did it the clay melted.

Accumulator
06-09-2005, 04:12 PM
bonfire- Welcome to Autopia!

What themightytimmah said :xyxthumbs

Some LSPs (Last Step Products, i.e., "waxes") resist stuff like that better than others, and will make it easier to clean it off in the future. You might look into "Insulator Wax" or "476S", both from Collinite.

bonfire
06-09-2005, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the quick respone and advice!!

I am going to the auto store tomorrow and the only thing they have is the bug and tar be gone. Will that be ok? Can I use the clay without any of that stuff?

Use the bug be gone stuff if that will work

Clay bar

Wash

Wax

Is that the proper order?

Accumulator
06-09-2005, 04:36 PM
bonfire- I`m not familiar with the Bug and Tar Be Gone, but yeah, that`s the right sequence. Bug/tar removers generally remove wax too (just like the rubbing alcohol/water mix), so that oughta work fine.

Wash, Bug & Tar, rewash, clay, polish/paint cleaner if needed, wax.

bonfire
06-09-2005, 04:45 PM
Thanks again!!

The bug and tar remover is by turtle wax and the only thing the auto store around here has. Any suggestions on car wash liquid to use?

Accumulator
06-10-2005, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by bonfire

Any suggestions on car wash liquid to use?

I use Griot`s (mail order), but do a search on this for OTC choices, lots of opinions about what is good.

bonfire
06-10-2005, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the help!!

I went to the autostore and got the following

Turtle bug and tar remover

Mothers Clay ki

meguiars NTX soap

Terry cloths

I used the bug remover, then washed, clayed, waxed. It all worked great!!

Thanks for all the advice!!