PDA

View Full Version : What polish for single stage paint?

imported_Billfold
06-09-2005, 10:09 AM
I am going to detail my Father-In-Laws `89 BMW 635CSi, and I was wondering what a good single stage polish would be. It looks to have moderate swirling, but other than that the paint is in great shape. Would SFX-2 be too harsh, and can you use a clay bar as well?

Way2SSlow
06-09-2005, 10:29 AM
I`ve had success with the Poorboys SSR line on my Mom`s 01 LX470 which is black single stage. Expect to make a couple passes though (ex: SSR2 -> SSR1).

Accumulator
06-09-2005, 11:01 AM
I always use the same stuff on single stage that I use on b/c, just remember that most ss (not white though!) is softer than b/c, so start mild and see what`s really needed.

I clay ss just like b/c, but again, be gentle lest you induce marring.

Some ss *really* responds well to glazes and products with a lot of oils, just something to keep in mind.

jjwalker
06-09-2005, 12:21 PM
hmmm...my SS red and white on my 88 s10 is rock hard, and is a good .8mils thick, and it has never been repainted.

Accumulator
06-09-2005, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by jjwalker

hmmm...my SS red and white on my 88 s10 is rock hard, and is a good .8mils thick, and it has never been repainted.

SS colors like red can vary, the stuff on my old MOPARS was pretty soft. But yeah, ss white is about as hard as paint gets.

Lowejackson
06-09-2005, 02:17 PM
SFX-2 works without any problems on ss paint

imported_Billfold
06-10-2005, 05:03 AM
cool, well I will get some before and afters when I do this detail. I really love how the older BMW`s were built. Very solid car for an `89. What`s a good LSP for SS paint? Can I use NXT?

wannafbody
06-10-2005, 06:25 AM
NXT should work fine-but on SS a carnauba like collinite 845 might look a bit better

klnyc
06-10-2005, 06:25 AM
Yeah, I wanted to ask that question too. My buddy Evo8 has a single stage paint and man, when you use AIO on white polish pad. That white pad becomes red. So, PB SSR1 or 2 will do it?

Accumulator
06-10-2005, 09:09 AM
klnc- Yeah, you`ll be fine with those products.

billfold- yeah, NXT oughta work fine. When Mike Phillips was doing a single stage Allard at the B-J auction, he used NXT on its single stage.

But I too like the look of a glaze/carnauba combo on most single stage paint. Not exactly the last word in protection, though.

imported_Billfold
06-10-2005, 09:44 AM
Where is the best place to buy Collinite 845? I am looking at using that as the topper for my parents and my in-laws vehicles, because they do not have the time to wax their cars consistently.

Accumulator
06-10-2005, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Billfold

Where is the best place to buy Collinite 845? I am looking at using that as the topper for my parents and my in-laws vehicles, because they do not have the time to wax their cars consistently.

Yeah, Collinite is what I use/give for applications like that too. I just order fine straight from Collinite. Get the phone number off their website (http://www.collinite.com/auto.htm) and give `em a call. Nice guys.