PDA

View Full Version : Painting my house.

Tasty
06-08-2005, 08:56 PM
So, I`ve finished the prep work for the painting of my house. Replaced all rotten wood, caulked like there is no tomorrow. I was contemplating using a Wagner product to speed things up, but then read nothing but horrible reviews on all the things they make. Should have known. Anyway, anyone have any tips on house painting (don`t say hire someone)? Should I just stick with the old tried and true brush it on method? I am going to prime it first and would ideally like 2 coats of paint, so you can see why I want to cut down on the amount of brush work I would have to do. The guy at Lowe`s told me he rolled the paint on his house with one of those PaintMate rollers by Wagne, and that it worked great. I am hesitant to buy their stuff now after reading the reviews.

imported_themightytimmah
06-08-2005, 09:10 PM
Maybe you could rent a pro-quality airless sprayer from Home Depot or Taylor Rental?

Wagner stuff is pretty much junk, I`d rather use a roller and tray than anything by them. The PaintMate might and I stress might work, unlike their spray guns. The only problem with it is cleanup. If you don`t spend an hour or so disassembling and running paint thinner through it, don`t bother trying to use it twice :).

LouisanaJeeper
06-08-2005, 09:27 PM
kinda depends on what you are painting.....

wood siding? paneling? vertical wood strips, etc, etc....

Tasty
06-08-2005, 09:31 PM
Hardiplank siding, wood trim. Hardiplank areas will be lighter base color, trim will be darker complementary color.

Timmah: Exactly what I have read about them. Cleanup a MAJOR PITA, and products just don`t work as advertised. YOu speak from experience? More and more I am leaning toward the old brush method.

LouisanaJeeper
06-08-2005, 09:41 PM
well, the fastest would be to mask and plastic cover the trim, spray the siding (with a professional gun), then go back and paint all the trim with a brush

the the best quality job would be a regular ~5" brush and bucket for everything

the roller would not work very well at all

hardiplank? that`s that concrete junk isn`t it? It soaks up paint alot. be prepared for a 3rd coat if necessary.

be sure you cover both parts of the siding, the face and the bottom edge of the boards. alot of people do a half *** job on the bottom edge

TW85 HHI
06-08-2005, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by LouisanaJeeper

hardiplank? that`s that concrete junk isn`t it?

I would hardly consider it junk.

imported_themightytimmah
06-08-2005, 10:58 PM
Yeah, my dad borrowed a Wagner power roller from a friend. I only assume the part about it having worked at one point, cause I can`t speak from experience :).

grimmster
06-09-2005, 06:55 AM
I had a wagner power roller, used it on one wall and returned it. (inside)

when I painted my house exterior I used a brush for the seams/trim and just a standard roller to roll the siding. It was an older house so it had the 8-10" wide siding, not the smaller 4"

imported_kgb
06-09-2005, 07:01 AM
I bought a wagner to paint the ceiling in my basement. Worst purchase eva! :lol The thing worked about half the time. Careful when spraying your house by the way. Professional painters use an admixture that makes the paint dry real quick so you don`t have overspray all over your house and the neighbor`s cars. ;)