PDA

View Full Version : Does a Glaze *REALLY* stand out on Black?

mystickid
06-08-2005, 02:31 PM
My car is Black.

I`m gonna be using the SSR polishes followed by Red Moose machine Glaze---> #26 paste ---> S100

Now I`m thinking.... should I forgo the RMG and just apply AIO---> KSG???

I mean will the RMG make my *Black* car look really significantly better or is a couple coats od KSG after AIO just about the same is looks???

I`m in a dilemma, please share your thoughts.

Accumulator
06-08-2005, 03:53 PM
Unless you`re gonna get it *truly* marring-free, the glaze will probably look better. When I did the rent-a-Suburban, I couldn`t get it perfect (despite a lot of rotary, Cyclo, and PC work). The glaze-effect from using Meg`s #80 *really* made it look a lot better than it did beforehand (previous product was PI-III MG via Cyclo); the glaze hid stuff that something like the K twins would`ve made *more* noticeable.

I don`t use stuff like the Klasse twins unless I can get the finish basically perfect.

And I generally prefer the "glaze/wax look" over the "sealant look" on colors like black anyhow.

Oh, and I dunno if you`ll get any big benefit from topping the #26 with P21S. Maybe a little extra depth if you use Souveran instead of the P21S, though.

pt91
06-08-2005, 04:54 PM
RMG made a difference on black when I used it! Topped with Souveran.

I would try your tactic of :

SSR polishes followed by Red Moose machine Glaze---> #26 paste ---> stop

If you don`t love it, try the sealants. The look will be very different.

White95Max
06-08-2005, 04:57 PM
I`m in the process of a two-day detail on a black Tribute. I did SSR2.5/yellow on the whole thing, and then applied RMG to the hood. The owner agreed that it looks good enough after the polish + RMG as far as swirling. I think the RMG is important on black because it will fill in some of the minor swirls.

You can see my thread tomorrow on the black Tribute after SSR2.5, RMG, WG, and Nattys.

mystickid
06-08-2005, 07:27 PM
Thanx Accumulator, pt91, white95max.

Accumulator,

Is it possible to polish to a *truly* marring free on older cars with say 7 yr. old paint but with just alot of spider webbing or *truly* marring free can most likely be achieved onlyon newer cars?

Well everyone is saying that RMG will make the difference and i especially trust your experience so I`m gonna drop the Klasse twins and stick to RMG -->LSP

Oh and Accumulator whats your take on #26 vs. S100 seperately by themeselves???

thanx again guys.

imported_themightytimmah
06-08-2005, 07:49 PM
You can get an older car truly swirl free.....a few times. After a coupla major compoundings, you won`t have too much clear left, and you`ll have to leave it be.

Accumulator
06-09-2005, 10:29 AM
mystickid- What you can do will just depend on the car. Same ol` same ol`, you`re taking off paint/clear and you can only take off so much over the life of the paint. So, for example, a really marred up car that`s never been polished might come out perfect because you can take off the required amount of paint/clear to get all the marring out.

But fixing anything significant with a PC is a long, hard job compared to using a rotary or even a Cyclo.

Generally, I wouldn`t try for perfection anyhow. Most people don`t appreciate it and even if they do they`ll just mar it again and you`re back to the same dilemma- can you keep taking off the paint? Get it really nice compared to the starting point and say "good enough".

I`m not a big fan of P21s; when I want that kind of look I use Meg`s #16 instead. I haven`t used #26 for decades, but it`s probably just the thing for what you`re dealing with. It darkens the paint and give a rich look. Not as nice as Souveran, but it`s a lot less expensive and it lasts longer. I wouldn`t bother combining them myself. On black I`d just use the #26.