PDA

View Full Version : Water spot etching-How long?

trueblueblood
06-07-2005, 02:12 PM
How long does it take for a water spot to etch into the paint where it could not be repaired and polished out?

I know baking in the sun doesn`t help and having the magnifying effect, but what hours, days, weeks before it would be permanent?

Would your LSP minimize or stop etching as the minerals would be left in the layer of LSP or does the minerals keep going down?

If you used only distilled water or similar and it dried on the surface it would leave no markings becasue of lack of minerals correct? And why does waterspots always leave a marking more noticeably around the edge is this just the properties the mineral and water to go to the edge?

Thanks for any help not trying ` to get all Mr. Wizard up in here:p

imported_Mighty HD
06-07-2005, 02:23 PM
Good question--I have wandered the same. I`m paranoid about water spots and etching.

Bill D
06-07-2005, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by true blue blood

How long does it take for a water spot to etch into the paint where it could not be repaired and polished out?

I`d say color of the car and the temperature are the key factors. For instance, a black car in Florida, etching can take place instantly.

Would your LSP minimize or stop etching as the minerals would be left in the layer of LSP or does the minerals keep going down?

I think sealant may slow the etching process but not really prevent it all together if that color and temperature is right. It might wind up making it less severe and therefore easier to polish out with less aggressive resorts.

If you used only distilled water or similar and it dried on the surface it would leave no markings becasue of lack of minerals correct? And why does waterspots always leave a marking more noticeably around the edge is this just the properties the mineral and water to go to the edge?

Yes, at least according to those who manufacturer and have used water purifying units like CR Spotless, DI filters, etc.

Yeah, probably just the minerals dispersing as the water evaporates.

Thanks for any help not trying ` to get all Mr. Wizard up in here:p

I really enjoy "Mr. Wizard" type threads. Loads and loads of stuff to learn :xyxthumbs:

Aequitas
06-07-2005, 02:47 PM
I`m in Chicago (schaumburg actually) right now for work and I came out of my hotel this morning to find that my hood, passenger side, and windshield are covered in hard water spots from the hotel sprinklers... My car is a dark graphite color and today it sat out in 90 degree sun baking (and it will be sitting out for the next few days) I`ll be polishing that out friday when I get home, hopefully it will come out fairly easily (but I have a sinking feeling its going to take a lot of polishing).

Mochamanz1
06-08-2005, 02:36 AM
Water droplets could act like magnifying glasses in sunlight, thousands of them. I wonder do they focus the light and cause tiny "burn-like defects) in the clear or under it ?

wannafbody
06-08-2005, 10:51 AM
well IMO it depends on what minerals are in the water. i would think some are worse than others

Bill D
06-08-2005, 11:42 AM
When I was inquiring about hose filters, I asked about water hardness and mineral content. This is my case:

Hi, Bill,

If the water is naturally soft, that means it has a low calcium content. Hardness is defined as an elevated amount of calcium and magnesium. If it has lots of minerals but not much is calcium, the usual supposition is that it has a lot of sodium.

pogo123
06-08-2005, 04:25 PM
Well this is probably more then you want to know about your water but here goes. I am a Municipal water system operator and I can give you a little more info on it. Besides the minerals mentioned above (you may want to add iron to that list) most treatment plants add coagulants, usually alum, to help with sedimentation, flouride for teeth (an aluminum by product), soda ash to increase PH or acids to lower it, chlorine or other disinfectants to kill bacteria. Some add chelating chemicals to help with iron pipes and "red" water. Which chemicals, and how much of each used is based on the quality of the source water to start with. Some systems use surface water supplies and some use wells. The difference in water quality and processes can vary greatly between different communities, and that can have a big effect on your paint and what is required to maintain your car. Or your fish tank!;)

MorBid
06-08-2005, 10:50 PM
pogo123:

Very interesting, I see now why bottled water was such a hit :)

zey
06-09-2005, 01:05 AM
Bill D, I strongly agree with the point you made that dark colour cars will be etched easier compared to light colour cars. Also, dark colour cars show up the defects easily, therefore extra care is required.

Woob
06-09-2005, 06:20 AM
I believe the etching gets worse as you allow the contamination to slowly work each day. I was at a Meguiar`s Meet and was taught that the impurities dryout as the water dissipates and therefore the impurities slowly work down the finish.

zey
06-09-2005, 10:09 AM
SilvaBimma, to preserve the finish and prevent dirt from eating the paintwork, it`s best to wash once every 2-3 days. But it`s quite hard for a daily driver, unless you have somebody to do that for you.

Bill D
06-09-2005, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by zey

Bill D, I strongly agree with the point you made that dark colour cars will be etched easier compared to light colour cars. Also, dark colour cars show up the defects easily, therefore extra care is required.

Yes it is so true!

polluted/ hard/mineral laced water+ dark colored car+ high heat can = :soscared:

trueblueblood
06-10-2005, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by MorBid

pogo123:

Very interesting, I see now why bottled water was such a hit :)

Who thought you could sell bottled water :rolleyes: :p