PDA

View Full Version : What would you do about this?

ben54
12-24-2004, 03:23 PM
Got hit in a shopping mall parking lot yesterday. Too much Christmas rush I guess.

Some old guy hit my car from behind, looking the opposite direction. At first, he reached into his pocket to give me cash, but I told him I would get an estimate for the damage because I assumed that fixing a bumper cover is big bucks.

In the morning light, the damage looks to be more scuff marks, but I noticed a crack in the paint. This is a new car so I`d like it to look new, but I`m wondering if I should just buff out the damage and leave the paint chips and crack, or should I get it repainted? Can a black bumper cover be partially repainted? I`m a little concerned that repainting the bumper cover may lead to more problems in the future with cracking. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Poorboy
12-24-2004, 03:34 PM
That`s a tough call...a good body shop would remove the bumper to repaint the whole thing...blending would be noticable probaly only by you , but it`s you that counts!!!...a new bumper would never be approved by an insurance company so either take the cash and fix it yourself...or have the whole bumper repainted so you`ll be happY:dunno

andriver
12-24-2004, 04:18 PM
Get the bumper replaced. You will not be happy otherwise.

kimwallace
12-24-2004, 04:27 PM
If the paint is cracked, definitely get it repainted. Once the paint is cracked, especially on a flexible bumper, it usually will start to peel making for an ugly mess.
Most body shops (like Poorboy said) will remove the bumper, sand it, blend in the color coat for a good match, and then clearcoat the entire bumper. I had mine done not too long ago and the cost was around $350.00. You cannot tell it from the rest of the car.

ben54
12-24-2004, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the comments. I`m inclined to go with a complete repaint. I`d like to get the whole thing replaced, but I think only those of us on Detail City would understand the necessity of that.