06-06-2005, 08:51 PM
Subject: `97 Grenalda Black Pearl.

Here is my current plan:

1. Wash & Dry - apply by hand

2. Clay: Auto Wax Company - Clay Magic Detailing Kit - apply by hand

3. Fill chips in paint with touch-up paint - apply by hand

4. Paint Set let sit for 24hours to dry paint

5. Wash & Dry - apply by hand

6. Polish & Buff: Meguiars #83 Dual Action Cleaner/Polish - apply PC (Polishing pad or Cutting pad, Speed 5-6)

7. Wax: FK1 Pink - apply PC (Finishing pad, Speed 2-4)

8. Wax Cure: Let wax cure for 24 hours

9. Wax: FK1 Pink - apply PC (Finishing pad, Speed 2-4)

Now, the more i read on here... the more i hear you must seal, expecially with a Black paint. So my question is, SHOULD I use a cleaner (like AIO) after Step 6 then add a few coats of Sealent (like SG)... then add the FK1 Pink wax?

Or should I keep the sealent off... and just use the Wax to seal in the oil/fillers from the #83?

Thoughts?

Thanks all!

Thomas Dekany
06-06-2005, 08:57 PM
My 2 cents.

For your car I`d use FK1 #2180 (their BEST sealant) and top it with Pink Wax, which is a combination of polimers and carnuba.

BTW, with FK1 products, you don`t have to wait at all before adding another layer.

Thomas Dekany
06-06-2005, 08:59 PM
PS: You don`t have to use a sealant

integraoligist
06-06-2005, 09:04 PM
i read on here that with Black paint... the temp of the paint will become somewhere about 165F or something like that in the sun and will "melt" the wax effectivness. and that Sealent will help out the temp barrier between the paint and wax thus keeping it longer...

?

Thomas Dekany
06-06-2005, 09:17 PM
PW is a mix of synthetic and natural waxes, so you will get long lasting protection. Keep adding a layer of PW every time you wash. It will make your black paint look fantastic. (assuming the paint is well prepped).

imported_themightytimmah
06-06-2005, 09:28 PM
Yeah, I heard the whole "you must seal" thing. I don`t, I own a black car, and it hasn`t caused me any trouble. My car`s gotten hot enough that you couldn`t touch it before, and the wax seemed to hold up alright. It is true that Carnuba melts at 110 or so, but almost all waxes today are a blend.

integraoligist
06-06-2005, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by themightytimmah

Yeah, I heard the whole "you must seal" thing. I don`t, I own a black car, and it hasn`t caused me any trouble. My car`s gotten hot enough that you couldn`t touch it before, and the wax seemed to hold up alright. It is true that Carnuba melts at 110 or so, but almost all waxes today are a blend.

what wax do you use?