PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable Questions

Pages : [1] 2

SphyNxXx
06-06-2005, 02:52 PM
Im looking into finally getting a Porter Cable. I see two different models for sale, hte 7424 and the 7336. Is there a difference between these two? Also, what pads do you recommend getting to accompany the PC? I will use the PC mostly for polishing and removing swirls rather than applying the final sealants and waxes.

White95Max
06-06-2005, 03:31 PM
The 7424 and 7336 are very similar. I believe the only difference is the size of the backing plate. The 7424 has a 6", and the 7336 has a 5".

I recommend getting the Propel pads from http://www.exceldetail.com

You`ll need a 5" backing plate to accept those pads correctly.

Jngrbrdman
06-06-2005, 03:38 PM
This might help sort it out for you. (http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/skinny.htm?L+coastest+nbns0305ffb0d9b0+1118098824)

imported_ssorange
06-06-2005, 03:49 PM
Hi,

I just bought a 7336. I wanted to make sure that it was simalar to the 7424.....I went to PC`s website and printed out the exploded view parts lists for both and determined that the only relavent difference between the two is the size/weight of the counter-weight. I recommend you do the same and see for yourself.

You can buy the 7424 weight for about $2.00.

you can also check out this site. It gives a brief explanation to the differences:

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/skinny.htm?E+coastest

Hope this helps. It helped me.

-John

:)

SphyNxXx
06-09-2005, 09:19 PM
I found the 7336 at a Lowes for $109. Are the pads in it good enough to use on a car, or do I have to buy other ones to safely use on my car.

Also, why do I need to buy a backing plate for it? I am looking at the pad/plate bundle on this site to buy along with it if I need other pads: http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?ref=exceldetail&ct=30109

buellwinkle
06-09-2005, 10:42 PM
First consider that you need a different pad for each product you use or you will contaminate the pad by mixing product. Because of that it`s best to get a starter kit like the one you found online or Megs for about the same price. Then use the pad that came with the buffer for removing wax with an MF bonnet. I also use Lake Country pads which are great but they maybe harder to get. Check out a local auto paint store (check yellow pages), they carry this type of stuff or can order it and get it in with a day or two. Although I never used them, Sonus is another brand people like for pads.

X-Trail
06-10-2005, 01:58 AM
I just bought my PC7424 at coastal tools. They have the counterweight already. So i dont have to order it from someplace else.

truckerbaer
06-10-2005, 04:19 AM
I also use Lake Country pads which are great but they maybe harder to get.

Order them online or give them a call they can tell you who might sell them in your area.

http://www.lakecountrymfg.com/contactus.html

SphyNxXx
06-10-2005, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by X-Trail

I just bought my PC7424 at coastal tools. They have the counterweight already. So i dont have to order it from someplace else.

Is it really necessary to get the counterweight?

imported_guapsnaman
06-10-2005, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by SphyNxXx

Is it really necessary to get the counterweight?

No. People have tested and found no difference using the different counterweights. You`ll be fine with what ever you got in there.

SphyNxXx
06-10-2005, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by buellwinkle

First consider that you need a different pad for each product you use or you will contaminate the pad by mixing product. Because of that it`s best to get a starter kit like the one you found online or Megs for about the same price. Then use the pad that came with the buffer for removing wax with an MF bonnet. I also use Lake Country pads which are great but they maybe harder to get. Check out a local auto paint store (check yellow pages), they carry this type of stuff or can order it and get it in with a day or two. Although I never used them, Sonus is another brand people like for pads.

I understand I need more pads, but lets say if I want to detail a car before I get in some new pads from another source, will it be fine to detail the car with the pads included with the PC? I believe it said it includes a cutting and polishing pad.

a.k.a. Patrick
06-10-2005, 09:15 PM
Usually the white one you get from Coastal is junk.....I use it as a cushion for my XM radio.

buellwinkle
06-10-2005, 09:55 PM
I`ve heard second hand that the PC buffing pad came off and damaged the paint but I`ve never used mine, just looks so cheap. If you are anxious to get started, crack open the yellow pages, look for a local auto paint supply store and ask them what 6" pads they sell for the PC and pick it up. Just did a quick yellowpage search in your area and there`s 2 places in Alabaster which can`t be too far. Hey, do you know Bo?

SphyNxXx
06-10-2005, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by buellwinkle

I`ve heard second hand that the PC buffing pad came off and damaged the paint but I`ve never used mine, just looks so cheap. If you are anxious to get started, crack open the yellow pages, look for a local auto paint supply store and ask them what 6" pads they sell for the PC and pick it up. Just did a quick yellowpage search in your area and there`s 2 places in Alabaster which can`t be too far. Hey, do you know Bo?

Alabaster is only about 30-40 miles away. I live in a semi-rural town that is in between 2 of the larger cities in Alabama. Its about 40-50 miles to Birmingham or Montgomery from my place. Nope, I don`t know Bo, but he seems like a cool guy from what all he`s said on local TV interviews. Bo`s hometown is a very short distance from Alabaster.

SphyNxXx
06-11-2005, 10:39 PM
Well, I picked up a PC 7336 today at Lowes :bounce

Now I need to get some pads to use with it and maybe this weekend I can test it out on my C5 :up