PDA

View Full Version : What to use on a $600 paint job??

imported_Billfold
06-06-2005, 10:05 AM
Well, this is my wifes `96 Neon, with a below average repaint. Can`t complain, her parents did it for a wedding present. I am debating what to use as a LSP, polish, etc on it.

The paint has very little reflection on it, and I was wondering if a polish like ColorX would do it well, or even if NXT with some mild abrasives would give it some more pop.

Here is what I have in my arsenal,

SFX-2 and 3

S100

WAUD

TC-2 sample, and TC-8 sample (swirl cutter)

I have even been thinking about getting Long Haul products or even the Turtle Wax Platinum. Nothing too fancy here, just something effective.

Feel free to ask questions if I didn`t address them.

usdm
06-06-2005, 10:15 AM
First you should try to find out where

the car was painted, and what kind of paint

was used.

Is the paint shiny but lacking reflection, or

is it just completely dull (w/o shine or reflection)?

buellwinkle
06-06-2005, 10:18 AM
The only thing that will make a $600 paint job look better is a $1,000 paint job over it. OK, only kidding. Is the paint single stage or does it have a clearcoat? If it doesn`t have a clearcoat then you have more options like I would wetsand the car with 1500 grit or buff with a wool pad and rubbing compound (I prefer the wet sanding as you have more control), buff it out with a rotary buffer and a medium polish to get rid of the sanding marks, rebuff with a light polish to get rid of the buffing marks and then wax and that will make it as shiny as it`s going to get assuming you know what you are doing. Tape the edge as these have the least amount of paint and are more likely to wear through.

As for products, go to an auto paint store and see what they have, either 3M, Malco or Meg`s is what I would use and they may have the expertise to recomend what`s needed for what you want to do.

imported_Billfold
06-06-2005, 11:08 AM
Unfortunately her parents have no idea what the name of the shop was, and the receipt is gone. It has a tiny bit of reflection, but looks like it can be deeper. Some areas feel like sand paper still, so maybe some clay bar action would help, but I think he just took a paint gun, sprayed paint of the car, and was done with it.

I don`t know if this helps, but her parents told me that the painter said that if we didn`t get any wax over it within a month then the paint would peel, or something along those lines.

Gonzo
06-06-2005, 12:07 PM
Brillo pad and Cleanser with bleach. Take to bare metal and start over.

I see you are in Denton - Shoot Scottwax a PM for HIS recommended paint shop. It sounds like you got stuck with the one his brother used......

imported_Billfold
06-06-2005, 12:11 PM
dangit, well I think I am going to try some Long Haul on her car tonight, then on my Formula w/S100 as a topper