PDA

View Full Version : carwash question-acid rain...

wannafbody
06-06-2005, 08:26 AM
do most carwashes have some additive for removal of airborn contaminents like acid? I know a few such as Finish Kare and Long Haul claim such additives but what about the rest?

Setec Astronomy
06-06-2005, 08:39 AM
Oh boy--this is going to get hot. Most detergents are alkaline, so they will tend to neutralize acids, depending on whether you buy into the acid getting trapped in the paint matrix and only being able to be neutralized by a specialty product like the decon kits from FK and AI--which just happen to be the places that say the acid gets trapped in the matrix...

White95Max
06-06-2005, 10:43 AM
you make it sound like there is acid just floating around in the air to contaminate the water.

Just to clarify, acid rain is produced when carbon dioxide in the air mixes with the rainwater, causing carbonic acid (a.k.a. acid rain). The acid rain lands on a surface (like your car) and the acid gets more and more concentrated as the drop evaporates.

Personally I think you should wash the car right after any rainstorm to get the acid rain off.

wannafbody
06-06-2005, 01:33 PM
that`s a good idea

Mochamanz1
06-08-2005, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Setec Astronomy

Oh boy--this is going to get hot. Most detergents are alkaline, so they will tend to neutralize acids, depending on whether you buy into the acid getting trapped in the paint matrix and only being able to be neutralized by a specialty product like the decon kits from FK and AI--which just happen to be the places that say the acid gets trapped in the matrix...

I agree on the basic chemistry described. I worry more about the pollen captured and dried on after evaporation more than acid rain. I believe this stuff becomes abrasive ! We seal the paint with either sealants or wax, if the protective layer is adequte and kept up, acid rain ( what kind of PH are we talking?) should not hurt the finish IMHO. Just as in using Deionized water, this consideration (decon) is overkill and constitutes diminishing returns on your investment and efforts, IMO.:xyxthumbs

An after thought:

BTW, in the matter of getting trapped in a "Matrix" of some sort, it helps to remember that Polymers, in particular, "bond" molecularly. In forming this bond, mechanically, where does this "deposit" of acidic contaminates have the space in the chemical process to be made into an encapsulated pocket ? In the crosslinking process, the sealant molecules "lock" chemically with like molecules... there is no place for acid molecules to hook on.... If cross-linking takes place, where is the space for this encapsulation process to occur within the very thin molecular structure? Can, if it is even possible, this micro pocket contain enough physical mass of chemicals to be of a quantity large enough to form the number of reactions necessary to eat through the sealants and the Clear-coat? If the contaminant chemical is UNDER the sealant, the problem is in the prep.... As a chemical reacts with another, it is changed in some way, usually it is made inert and is unlikely to retain the physical properties to cause or form further chemical reactions.... :nixweiss