PDA

View Full Version : Going back to bug & tar remover

kompressornsc
06-06-2005, 06:02 AM
Since joining here, I`ve tried to become more refined in my approaches and some how got the idea that using a bug and tar remover was a :nono .

Well, on Saturday, I was claying prior to polishing and had a lot of this grey tarry, claylike stuff on my rockers that just smeared with the clay. My gf had some TW Bug & Tar remover, so I thought I`d give it a shot. Took it right off! I had already done one side with just clay and it took about an hour (the rockers wrap way under on my car) and on the other side, used the B & T then clayed and it took 10 minutes.

I know some people are so against using something that harsh on the paint, but I really feel it was worth it and it allowed the clay to do it`s real job of final smoothing. Just an observation...

Accumulator
06-06-2005, 10:00 AM
I dunno why anybody would be *against* B&T; I don`t think it`s remotely too harsh. I only use clay (instead of solvents) because I don`t want to have to redo the LSP if I can help it.

But yeah, with the kind of time you saved you could certainly redo the LSP unless you`ve done something special (like a zillion layers of something).

I *do* however recall that some B&T stuff was supposedly somewhat abrasive, but that was back in the day and I don`t know if it`s anything to worry about these days.

imported_animes2k
06-06-2005, 10:57 AM
I was thinking of picking up something like Meguiar`s Body Solvent to take care of the bugs and tar. Clay is not my preferred method for tar removal and especially something gunky or greasy, clay just won`t cut it.

The B&T remover I`ve used recently I really do not like, because it`s difficult to wash it off - it`s very greasy itself, or "heavy" and oily... Not sure how to describe it, but it`s a gel formula. Definitely need something else.

Accumulator
06-06-2005, 12:34 PM
You could always use 3M Adhesive Remover or something along the lines of PrepSol. I use Wurth CleanSolv/Cleans-All/whatever they`re calling it these days for stuff like this when I`m not using the 3M stuff.

chml17l
06-06-2005, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by animes2k

I was thinking of picking up something like Meguiar`s Body Solvent to take care of the bugs and tar. Clay is not my preferred method for tar removal and especially something gunky or greasy, clay just won`t cut it.

The B&T remover I`ve used recently I really do not like, because it`s difficult to wash it off - it`s very greasy itself, or "heavy" and oily... Not sure how to describe it, but it`s a gel formula. Definitely need something else.

I`ve never used a "gel" formula B&T remover, but most B&T removers are various blends of solvents and petroleum distillates. Water will not work because it`s not chemically miscible with a solvent based B&T remover.

The Prepsol/3M stuff should just evaporate after you have applied it to remove the tar.

imported_animes2k
06-06-2005, 01:01 PM
Well, this stuff worked pretty well, I guess, by sticking to the problem area and being able to dwell sufficiently.

It`s just that anything I use to wipe it off doesn`t want to clean up so well, regardless of the cleaners I use. I guess "what do you expect from an Amway product" :D It was free and laying around (a friend of a friend used to sell Amway - I use the car wash to clean pads).

I think I may just go with the 3M adhesive remover I already have or pick up something in a spray bottle (DP from Autogeek, perhaps), since the 3M is terribly potent...

Good thread, seldom discussed.

chml17l
06-06-2005, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by animes2k

Well, this stuff worked pretty well, I guess, by sticking to the problem area and being able to dwell sufficiently.

It`s just that anything I use to wipe it off doesn`t want to clean up so well, regardless of the cleaners I use. I guess "what do you expect from an Amway product" :D It was free and laying around (a friend of a friend used to sell Amway - I use the car wash to clean pads).

I think I may just go with the 3M adhesive remover I already have or pick up something in a spray bottle (DP from Autogeek, perhaps), since the 3M is terribly potent...

Good thread, seldom discussed.

I don`t believe a "mild" tar remover can actually exist and still work sufficiently to remove tar. Tar is best removed with a solvent based cleaner. Remember chemistry class-- like dissolves like. No water based tar cleaner is going to remove stubborn tar worth a darn. But, it probably will leave more of your wax/sealant intact. The Prepsol will not harm finished paint. Heck, it`s what body shops use all the time to remove adhesives, tar, etc.

Some "milder" B&T removers can be used for bug removal. These are usually either citrus based degreasers or soaps that are quite alkaline in nature. Technically, they should strip less of your wax/sealant, but I wouldn`t over-apply them and think my paint was still well protected unless you`re using some sealant like Z2 or SG. If you do use a solvent-based tar remover, you will just have to accept the fact you will need to reseal your paint after use.

Casebrius
06-06-2005, 05:44 PM
so what should be used to remove the B&T product (petroleum distillate based)?

atticdog
06-06-2005, 05:54 PM
is wd40 harsh on your paint?

it also removes tar well

chml17l
06-06-2005, 07:56 PM
Casebrius--The petroleum distillate tar remover should mostly evaporate after it is wiped on. Dampen a cloth with the cleaner and wipe. You may need to rewet the cloth as the solvents evaporate. Follow with a dry cloth once the tar is removed. There is really no need to "remove it " with something else. You can then wash the cleaned surface with some soap/water solution to remove any leftover residue and then rinse with water.

atticdog-WD40 isn`t any harsher on your paint than Prepsol. Just remember to rewax after use. I believe the WD40 can even states that it can be used to remove tar; however, it will leave an oily residue from the lubricant that`s in the solvent carrier. It`s definitely a cheap, generally available tar remover.

imported_themightytimmah
06-06-2005, 08:41 PM
I like Stoner`s Tarminator for tar, I usually will pretreat the hood, front fascia and all lower panels of a car before washing, and then follow with clay. Thats on paid details (read: all of my customers take f-ing terrible care of their cars) though, mine never seems to need anything tougher than PB`s Bug Squash.