PDA

View Full Version : Humidity and sealants don`t mix!!

jonw440
06-05-2005, 05:52 PM
I polished my Daughter`s "new" (to me... I mean her);)

2003 Saab 9-3 today with 1Z PP and MP also tried some Chem Guys med and final polish. I used the rotary on a few spots (using the 4" spot pads) and finished up with the PC.

I applied AIO as thin as I usually do. I went back and started to wipe it off and man oh man was it stuck!!

I had to resort to using Sonus Acrylic spritz to break it loose!!

I could not see it and it was applied with the PC very very thin.....

Once I finally removed the AIO I was going to add the SG but with the high humidity I knew better. So.... I grabbed the Autoglym EGP, for the nice look and ease of removal. Well After 45 minutes of waiting I went to wipe that off. Guess what? Yep, that too was a bear to remove. I again had to use the spritz to remove it.

I will try again with the EGP tomorrow as the humidity is supposed to break tonight and will post pictures tomorrow.

Its Merlot (dark metallic red) It looks fantastic.. so far!!

This is a picture from the dealer.

a.k.a. Patrick
06-05-2005, 09:19 PM
Looks great! All polymers are finicky enough, even in low humidity. Being in Southern CAnt-afford-ya, we rarely get high humidity, so its not that big of an issue. Imagine using BF in high humidty!

SpoiledMan
06-05-2005, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by jonw440

..... also tried some Chem Guys med and final polish. I used the rotary on a few spots (using the 4" spot pads) and finished up with the PC.

So what did you think of the polishes. I haven`t tried those at all.

imported_WCD
06-05-2005, 10:40 PM
I had that problem with a sealant years ago in SB, CA. On certain days, you could not get the "snail tracks" to go away. After a few days, no problem, but not so great upon delivery of the vehicle.

Rob

petraidm
06-06-2005, 03:41 AM
Welcome to my world in Louisiana almost everyday of the year. I agve up on a few sealants because of this. I have 3 sealants I can use without issue right now ... EX, EX-P and WG. I gave up on AIO, NXT, old Z2 and OCW because of this. I will be trying 4*UPP this weekend and eventually will try z2 Pro.

Currently the VM / EX or EX-p combo does well year round for me

EBPcivicsi
06-06-2005, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by petraidm

Welcome to my world in Louisiana almost everyday of the year. I agve up on a few sealants because of this. I have 3 sealants I can use without issue right now ... EX, EX-P and WG. I gave up on AIO, NXT, old Z2 and OCW because of this. I will be trying 4*UPP this weekend and eventually will try z2 Pro.

Currently the VM / EX or EX-p combo does well year round for me

Get ready to put UPP on the "do not use in high humidity shelf." :D

I have the same problem in Memphis and have resorted to EX or EX-P in the summer. Some carnaubas have also become an issue.

I do not have problems with the OCW though.

Gonzo
06-06-2005, 06:14 AM
I live in Houston (where the term humidity was invented to describe the super saturated air we have here). Never had any problems with either AIO or SG, even in full sun at 95 degrees + and 95 % + humidity. You really should research and use Bill North`s Wipe On Wipe Off method.

Bill D
06-06-2005, 06:19 AM
Whew! I`m sure glad I had a dehumidifier and a fan blowing the other day when I was applying LSPs! It felt noticeably better but even at that it was totally comfortable at 84 degrees. Luckily, there was little issue with them other than Wolfgang requiring more passes to look even.

Lowejackson
06-06-2005, 11:39 AM
Try spraying the EGP from a bottle, on to the pad. It really helps with getting a very thin layer

imported_memnuts
06-06-2005, 03:15 PM
Zaino solved the humidity glitch with ZFX. :woot:

wannafbody
06-06-2005, 08:26 PM
maybe manufacturers need to engineer their products to work in high humidity