PDA

View Full Version : using PC without access to electrical outlet

rx280
06-05-2005, 02:15 PM
Hello. This is my first Autopia post. Iâ€â„¢ve been considering joining the ranks of PC users, but thereâ€â„¢s been one factor causing me to hesitate: I live on the third floor of a multi-unit building, so I would be unable to plug in the polisher. (I do most of my summertime detailing at a family cottage; no problem with access to an electrical outlet there.)

Iâ€â„¢m pretty sure Iâ€â„¢ve read that a PC can be plugged into a carâ€â„¢s cigarette-lighter receptacle â€â€œ using a converter of some sort, obviously. If thatâ€â„¢s correct, then my concern becomes power consumption. I obviously wouldnâ€â„¢t want to finish a detailing session and find the carâ€â„¢s battery dead or nearly dead.

So, guys, I need you to enlighten me on this subject. If using the carâ€â„¢s electrical system to power to the PC is feasible and power consumption wouldnâ€â„¢t be a problem, Iâ€â„¢m going to take the PC plunge. If you can make any recommendations re. a converter (type and place to purchase), by all means do.

By the way, my assortment of detailing-by-hand products consists of Meguiarâ€â„¢s NXT Tech Wax, Meguiarâ€â„¢s #26 (nearly gone), Griotâ€â„¢s Fine Hand Polish and Meguiarâ€â„¢s Scratch-X. Obviously, a PC purchase would need to be followed by a purchase of some new, PC-appropriate products. Suggestions welcomed.

If it matters, my primary vehicle is a black 2004 Acura TSX, which Iâ€â„¢ve had for about 19 months. I think Iâ€â„¢ve been reasonably successful at keeping the finish in good condition, but I know thereâ€â„¢s plenty of room for improvement.

Thanks in advance for the information assist.

Mochamanz1
06-05-2005, 02:32 PM
Interesting fonts ;) I have a 1000 watt power inverter, which I havent had a chance to use.... I think that the engine should idle to protect your charge. If you don`t, you could have a shiny dead car....:)

imported_CBX Carl
06-05-2005, 03:24 PM
I own a 750 watt Vector Inverter and use it for my PC. It has a low voltage cut-off to protect the battery but I would leave the engine idling. A deep discharge of the battery might not be good for its long term health hence the idling. The larger inverters have battery clamps so access to the battery terminals is required to operate the inverter. The small inverters have the lighter plugin say 400 watts or less but this is too small to run the PC. PC has 3.7 amps so I went with the 750 watt unit and have run the PC at full tilt with no problems. A 1200 watt unit is on sale at Pep Boys for $90.00 after a $10 rebate.

Watts = Volts x Amps

http://images.saleshound.com/dyn_li/600.0.90.0/Retailers/pepboys/9296051_vector_invtr01.jpg

imported_perry
06-05-2005, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by rx280

I live on the third floor of a multi-unit building, so I would be unable to plug in the polisher. (I do most of my summertime detailing at a family cottage; no problem with access to an electrical outlet there.)

I`d be afraid of killing the car battery after a 2 or 3 hour polishing session. I guessing starting up the engine for 20 minutes each hour would be alright, but seems like a lot of trouble. At least keep one of the battery powered jump starters on hand :)

Are you friendly with the people on the ground floor? Would they let you run a cord out their window / door? Could you do the serious polishing w/ the PC at the cottage during the summer, take good care of the car the rest of the year and just apply waxes / cleaners by hand? If you are careful while washing you could get away with only needing the PC once or twice a year. There are battery powered buffers that would be OK for applying waxes but I hear they don`t work so well for polishing. I think that`s the way I would go...

imported_Terry
06-05-2005, 06:19 PM
This is a great little generator....It powers up my pc & cyclo whenever I don`t have access to an outlet. I suppose you could rent one somewhere too.