PDA

View Full Version : New Paint Job

markyezy
06-05-2005, 12:55 PM
My truck was just painted, and I was wondering a few things:

1. How long should I wait before I wash it?

2. What kind of wash mit, towels, etc. should I use?

3. What kind of car wash should I use?

4. After washing and drying it, I was told I should wax it, what kind of wax should I use? (Should I wax it right away or something else)

5. What is the best product for removing swirl marks?

6. Is there a company ( with GOOD products ) that sells a package? Wax, Polish, Wash etc. all in one?

Thanks a million guys,

any tips would be great!,

Mark

the other pc
06-05-2005, 11:47 PM
Hi Mark, :welcome to Autopia.

*****1. How long should I wait before I wash it?

You can wash it immediately. Using a paint shop safe shampoo like Meguiar’s #00 is a good idea.

*****2. What kind of wash mit, towels, etc. should I use?

There are numerous options. Sheep skin mitts and microfiber towels are the most popular around here. Click on the articles (http://articles.autopia.org/) button at the top of the page to read about proper wash techniques and tools.

*****3. What kind of car wash should I use?

Again, many excellent options form. Besides the #00. I like Meguiar’s Gold Class. It works very well, is available everywhere and is inexpensive. All of the other companies you hear people talking about here make good wash products too.

*****4. After washing and drying it, I was told I should wax it, what kind of wax should I use? (Should I wax it right away or something else)

That’s exactly what you shouldn’t do. The paint needs time to outgas and cure. The shortest wait for waxing you hear is 30 days. You also hear 60-90 days sometimes. You shouldn’t use a wax or sealant until then. You can use a polish or glaze like Meguiar’s #80.

*****5. What is the best product for removing swirl marks?

A new paint job shouldn’t have any. There is no such thing as a “best†product. How well a given product works depends on your paint, the severity of the swirls, your application technique, etc. Many companies make good products.

*****6. Is there a company ( with GOOD products ) that sells a package? Wax, Polish, Wash etc. all in one?

All in one product line, one retail vendor or all in one bottle? A number of companies do. Many retailers do. One bottle, no. The closest you get to one bottle is a cleaner wax like Klasse AIO or Meguiar’s ColorX. You still need a separate wash.

PC.

Mad iX
06-06-2005, 02:20 AM
It`s true you shouldn`t wax new paint but a pure sealant won`t interfere with outgassing.

The two things I`ve used on new paint are AIO and Z2Pro. No problems at all with either.

If you`re paranoid then you can go with #80 and get rid of any buffer swirls at the same time.

The key thing to remember is body shop safe.

imported_DennisH
06-06-2005, 10:42 AM
The best advice I can give you is “Call Your Painter†and ask him how to care for your new paint job. Remember he is the one that is warranting you paint job. He says wait 60 days and only use glazes than that is what I would do. Only your painter knows the products and process he used on your paint job.